Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Sports
Carp

The 6 Nations

Been some great games. Close games. Thought Scotland mixed it today against England superbly. I can see Ireland doing England in a couple of weeks. Bring on the skill, balls and passion! Love it!
lolwarlol

Only caught a bit of the game today. I don't  hate Rugby i just fail to understand, passed the basic us and them part, why people like to watch it or worse still play it.
Carp

I love the game and miss playing it. I go to our local club when I can to watch.

Horses to courses I suppose. I don't like American football and therefore make no effort to understand the game. Some of my mates love it.
sheeps

I too love the Six Nations, great sporting spectacle.

I reckon the Irish will do us as well.
Tank Girl

oh. has the rugby been on then?
i never noticed
sheeps

Tank Girl wrote:
oh. has the rugby been on then?
i never noticed


Scotland came second
bearing

sheeps wrote:
I too love the Six Nations, great sporting spectacle.

I reckon the Irish will do us as well.


If they play like they did against plucky Scotland they will.
bearing

Tank Girl wrote:
oh. has the rugby been on then?
i never noticed


You should have watched the ladies rugby instead.
sheeps

bearing wrote:
Tank Girl wrote:
oh. has the rugby been on then?
i never noticed


You should have watched the ladies rugby instead.


No she shouldn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9424079.stm

Wouldn't mind tackling our left winger.
fartcatcher

As I'm confined to barracks at the moment i thought i'd watch the Wales England match.

Lasted until half time before i abandoned it in favour of a repeat of 'The New Avengers'.

What a load of old toss!

I don't really understand Rugby but i have a few suggestions that Alan Lancaster* could do well to adopt.

1. If you have a scrum close to one touch line, pass the ball away from the touchline.
2. Tell your players to try and run between the opposition players not straight at them
3. Do not kick the ball straight back to the opposition (copy NW on that one)
4. Try picking 15 rugby players not 15 bodybuilders

*may have first name wrong but you get my drift
Late Doors

How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.
sheeps

Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.
Dock

sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


I don't know anybody who could match you at international level. Youa re a world champion div without rival.
Dock

sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


I don't know anybody who could match you at international level. You are a world champion div without rival.
sheeps

Don't think it's easy either.
Dock

sheeps wrote:
Don't think it's easy either.


Dedication's what you need.
Grind

I got slightly interested when I thought we might win it and I could give the vaguely welshy mother-in-law some grief.

Normal service has since been resumed.

* Ignoring her has always been best.
fartcatcher

have you noticed how many Rugby players look like Sontarans  

Grind

fartcatcher wrote:
have you noticed how many Rugby players look like Sontarans  



But with thicker necks and more irregular ears, obviously.
Late Doors

sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


Exactly pal, couldn't agree more, at international level only, but i see you mention everything except the game itself. I've no axe to grind with RU at all but the nature of the game with the mauls, rucks, scrums, kicking out of play, penalty after penalty for incomprehensible offences that dictate most of the results render it like a turgid game of British Bulldogs charge. You take all the elements you rightly mentioned away and you are left with a mess.
Heyho

sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


And there lies the dilemma - RU has got the support of the main media channels (well terrestrial anyway) so gets the air play to the masses. RL is propped up by Sky money.

And do we want RL to lose its grass roots appeal. Isn't that what we all like about it. It's a northerm game with a couple of silly clubs thrown in via Sky's money.
sheeps

Heyho wrote:
sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


And there lies the dilemma - RU has got the support of the main media channels (well terrestrial anyway) so gets the air play to the masses. RL is propped up by Sky money.

And do we want RL to lose its grass roots appeal. Isn't that what we all like about it. It's a northerm game with a couple of silly clubs thrown in via Sky's money.


A RL or RU international won't look any different on a different channel. It's the naff way the RL themselves stage the games compared to the RU.

Big RL game, lasses waving flags, minutes silence for someone, local TA, half empty stadium.
sheeps

Late Doors wrote:
sheeps wrote:
Late Doors wrote:
How about abandoning the absurdity and the mess of the scrum, keeping the ball in play most of the time, playing for tries rather than penalties, learn to tackle, cut out the cowardly attacks, move forward with the ball in skillfull flowing passing movement along the line and... ohh tell you what, cut to the chase take 2 men each team out of the game to open up the play and just call it Super league division 3.


RL fan myself but it is a cold hard fact that these 6 nations games make RL look like amateur stuff.

The stadiums, the supporters, the intensity, RL will never match them at international level.


Exactly pal, couldn't agree more, at international level only, but i see you mention everything except the game itself. I've no axe to grind with RU at all but the nature of the game with the mauls, rucks, scrums, kicking out of play, penalty after penalty for incomprehensible offences that dictate most of the results render it like a turgid game of British Bulldogs charge. You take all the elements you rightly mentioned away and you are left with a mess.


Agree on the incomprehensible offences but enjoy the mauls, rucks etc. because they give the game a three dimensional aspect as against RL continually having the two lines of blokes with identical physiques running into each other.

I'm arguing against a sport I love myself here, and the reason is a lot of RL fans are totally blinkered as to the limitations of their sport. Talk to me about diving footballers, penalties in RU and I will agree with you despite loving the sports.
Grind

Despite having obvious similarities, to my eye (singular), they're really quite different games these days - should always be room for both.

A bit like proper outdoor footie and indoor "futsal" style footie.

Or not.

* Gets bored by own comments. Not a good sign.
Late Doors

Like I've said I've no axe to grind (or a grind to axe) with RU. We all get along just fine around here with mutual respect and support. Two fine minor RU clubs in the YMCA and HRUFC where a fine day out can be had plus I've played the game through school and a little beyond enough to have the right to an opinion anyway. That opinion was dented throughout the 6nations along with some pretty die hard RU fans in the Shoulder as well i have to say. Every game i saw was a mess. A 3 dimensional game you say?. You're joking, football is a three dimensional game RU is becoming a knackered old tractor trudging up and down a field getting stuck in the mud.

If there is any blinkedness in Rugby Sheeps it's in the National press with arseholes like Steve Jones from the Times who never miss a chance to ignorantly criticise RL such is his rampant sense of threat from a genuinely exciting game. All opinions and taste of course but if i want to watch a pile of sweaty men writhing about on top of each other I'll  watch that DVD you gave me.
sheeps

I want that back by the way.
Late Doors

I'd have thought they would have allowed all the ahem, actors in it more than one copy each.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Sports
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune