Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Late Doors

Superchunk

Terrific night at the Brudenell on Monday. Missed most of the openers girls against boys who butts said were magnificent but got ourselves front side for power pop pioneers from the '90S Superchunk.

A rare visit to the uk even rarer outside London. They said they had been hearing good things about the place so thought they'd brave the cold and venture up north.

New album I Hate Music got showcased  but it was s fabulous mix of old and new. Think Stiff Little Fingers, Husker Du, Manics, Green Dy and you won't be far out. The band explode with  power and clinical aggression occasionally into warp drive but still maintain an immaculate tempo. That is mainly down to the drummer who keeps time with part TNT and part quartz clock precision.

Interesting finale as well with the singer guitarist frontman swapping places with the drummer mid song to close out with a manic monologue from him. Good stuff, made the ears ring a bit but certainly livened up a Monday night.

fartcatcher

That's very good. They remind me of someone. I will return to the thread when I remember who.
Grind

fartcatcher wrote:
That's very good. They remind me of someone. I will return to the thread when I remember who.


Oooh, quiz night.

Is it Seal?
Plastic Man

fartcatcher wrote:
That's very good. They remind me of someone. I will return to the thread when I remember who.


Very good. They remind me a bit of Ash (who, coincidentally, also had a lady in the band for a time).
Dock

Re: Superchunk

Late Doors wrote:
Terrific night at the Brudenell on Monday. Missed most of the openers girls against boys who butts said were magnificent but got ourselves front side for power pop pioneers from the '90S Superchunk.

A rare visit to the uk even rarer outside London. They said they had been hearing good things about the place so thought they'd brave the cold and venture up north.

New album I Hate Music got showcased  but it was s fabulous mix of old and new. Think Stiff Little Fingers, Husker Du, Manics, Green Dy and you won't be far out. The band explode with  power and clinical aggression occasionally into warp drive but still maintain an immaculate tempo. That is mainly down to the drummer who keeps time with part TNT and part quartz clock precision.

Interesting finale as well with the singer guitarist frontman swapping places with the drummer mid song to close out with a manic monologue from him. Good stuff, made the ears ring a bit but certainly livened up a Monday night.



Fucksake, don't you like your house or summat? You are never in. Seriously though, do you find it hard to remember gigs because you seem to see loads? Doesn't the amount of bands you see dilute the experience and does it ever seem work-like travelling through to Leeds all the time? As you know I love music. It's the one thing I would find it difficult to go through life without but you and Butts get to more venues than ken Dodd's suitcase. It's hedonism, pure and simple.
Butts

The ears (or the left one to be precise) are just now recovering.

As a double bill it was hard to beat and on the night I couldn't choose one over the other. Girls Against Boys use two basses and they are lean and mean, with a cool elan only NY bands seem to be able to muster. Definite echoes of early Foo Fighters but with a Stroke-like artiness - bloody loud as well.



Superchunk embody that Husker Du raggedness which, as LD points out, is undepinned by Jon Wurster's drumming which amounted to a series of repeat near detonations. Their stop/start routines seemed to be co-ordinated telepathically, can't remember a band making it look THAT easy for a long while.

Late Doors

. Yeah i do like to go out. Always have

Lived on my own for 20 years y 'see but  even as a kid it was footy,cricket or youth club every night. Oct Nov and Dec is busy gig time as is May. Already got the Fall and White Denim booked for next May.

I don't like to drink in the house, well very little anyway and then in the garden when i do. I just don't see the point. Busy this week. Went to see Ed Byrne on Tuesday as well as the game last night. Having a neet in toneet though.

The journey into Leeds is nothing. If I walk into town I can leave home and be in the Taps in 50 minutes. 40 minutes if the bus/train combo falls right. Not a bind at all and no, I love live  music whether its a busker, brass band, orchestra, pub covers band, anything, its what floats my boat and I'll always love it. Obviously some gigs are more memorable than others but there aren't any I can remember where I wished I was somewhere else.
Grind

* Wants to be Late Doors. *
Late Doors

You want these knees? this gout ? this back? these eyes? this nose? this inferiority complex? this lack of confidence?
Grind

Late Doors wrote:
You want these knees? this gout ? this back? these eyes? this nose? this inferiority complex? this lack of confidence?


I'll take one of the eyes........  
Late Doors

 

*sticks*

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune