Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishual Entertainment
Frazier Cranium

Sky Atlantic good bits

Something Graham Norton said on last week's Baftas, about hardly anyone watching Sky Atlantic.  I'm not sure he did his researcg, especially as Game Of Thrones was up for a few awards, inc a 'people's vote' thing.

So... sort of going along with Dock's 'Banshee' praise, here's good things I watch or have watched on Sky Atlantic.

Game Of Thrones

Friday Night Lights - about American Football, played in two featured high schools.  Okay, the players are in their 20s generally but it's tons better than any other sports drama I can think of.

Blue Bloods - okau, it's shite overall but it started okay.

Carnivale - it was at times brilliant, at times too odd, but all in all pretty sound drama.  A cross between Freaks (of course) and The Elephant Man, but in colour - tried to be too David Lynch at times but it wasn't half bad.

Boardwalk Empire which of course is shite as everyone knows
Forest

He was possibly referring to Mad Men which has seen its audience plummet since its move from BBC2, it's still as brilliant as ever. I know a couple of people who don't/wont subscribe to sky and are waiting till its on DVD
Nyles O Cranium

I didn't know Mad Men audiences had dropped, that's a shame cos it is fantastic.

Norton did say something about how small Sky Atlantic audience is, it wasn't his best
Nyles O Cranium

You'll probably mock... this channel changing for series is a right pain in the neck, I remember Sky outbid C4 for Lost, and not long back C4 for some reason put the final series of Desperate Housewives on E4 or summat, but we didn't know this in our household so we haven't seen the fecker yet.
Forest

Nyles O Cranium wrote:
I didn't know Mad Men audiences had dropped, that's a shame cos it is fantastic.


It was bound to happen moving to a subscription channel.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cultur...n-sees-viewing-figures-slump.html


Mad Men returned for a sixth series last night with a double-bill on Sky Atlantic. However, despite being one of the most written about shows, it was watched by just 58,000 viewers.
The show, which follows a New York advertising house and its employees in the Sixties, has won 15 Emmy awards and four Golden Globes. It has always been a niche, if critically acclaimed show, however last night's viewing figures mark a new low for a Mad Men premiere.
Last year, 98,000 people watched the season premiere of series five, however there had been an 18-month long break since series four. The slump could also be due to the fact Mad Men is now broadcast on subscription channel Sky Atlantic – when the fourth series was aired on BBC4 in 2010, it attracted 355,000 viewers.
The 58,000 viewers may have comprised a small share of overall audience share last night, just 0.5 per cent, but it was a large increase on the average amount of viewers Sky Atlantic has received for the 10pm-midnight slot during the past three months, which is usually filled with repeats of shows such as ER and Blue Bloods.
Game of Thrones provided a similar success for the channel when its third series launched on April 1, with 710,000 viewers. However, over a million – a record number – illegal downloads of the Game of Thrones season premiere were made in the 24 hours after it was aired – by viewers who did not subscribe to the channel.
Forest

Nyles O Cranium wrote:
You'll probably mock... this channel changing for series is a right pain in the neck, I remember Sky outbid C4 for Lost, and not long back C4 for some reason put the final series of Desperate Housewives on E4 or summat, but we didn't know this in our household so we haven't seen the fecker yet.


Desperate Housewives? You'll be saying you watch Ugly Betty next  
Dock

Re: Sky Atlantic good bits

Frazier Cranium wrote:
Something Graham Norton said on last week's Baftas, about hardly anyone watching Sky Atlantic.  I'm not sure he did his researcg, especially as Game Of Thrones was up for a few awards, inc a 'people's vote' thing.

So... sort of going along with Dock's 'Banshee' praise, here's good things I watch or have watched on Sky Atlantic.

Game Of Thrones

Friday Night Lights - about American Football, played in two featured high schools.  Okay, the players are in their 20s generally but it's tons better than any other sports drama I can think of.

Blue Bloods - okau, it's shite overall but it started okay.

Carnivale - it was at times brilliant, at times too odd, but all in all pretty sound drama.  A cross between Freaks (of course) and The Elephant Man, but in colour - tried to be too David Lynch at times but it wasn't half bad.

Boardwalk Empire which of course is shite as everyone knows



Re: Graham Norton. I'd rather watch Boardwalk Empire, Mad Men or anything else on SA rather than a man talking at 100mph and putting a cock innuendo in every sentence he speaks. Riveting television NOT!
Frazier Cranium

I don't mind Norton actually.

I did actually see the first Ugly Betty, sorry!

I forgot to mention TREME, it has been very very good, even if it might not be realistic enough, they've managed to make some great drama with it, the corruption angles are fecking v effective I reckon.

And it was Sky Atlantic which screened all The Wire again, and Sopranos I think.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishual Entertainment
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune