Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Sports
Grind

Red Sox

Off to see them play the Angels tonight at Fenway Park - first time I've been to a proper "big" baseball game in about three years. Good seats too.  

Two major US sporting events for Grind in one week. Crikey!

* Still rather see Leeds play, obviously *
Grind

Another absolute humdinger!

The Sox were deservedly losing 8-7 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and two strikes on the batter and somehow conspired to get a walk off run with the bases loaded, followed by a little over third base to bring the winning run home.

Fine rounders skills.

Two scabby late victories in one week.  

* Will definitely be getting a lottery ticket *
Pond Life

Nice reporting.
bearing

Grind wrote:
Another absolute humdinger!

The Sox were deservedly losing 8-7 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs and two strikes on the batter and somehow conspired to get a walk off run with the bases loaded, followed by a little over third base to bring the winning run home.

Fine rounders skills.

Two scabby late victories in one week.  

* Will definitely be getting a lottery ticket *


Someone care to translate?
Dock

Grind, I've only ever got into the NBA and NFL with regard to U.S. sports. I don't get the baseball thing. Did it take a while for you to get into the baseball? And do you like the American footy and Basketball? Do they still show the College football games on a Saturday. Ace! Spent an excellent Saturday afternoon/early evening in a bar in Brooklyn watching College football once. (Hic)  
Plastic Man

bearing wrote:
Someone care to translate?


Think Man U vs Bayern Munich 1999 Champions League Final, with the scum coming back from 1-0 down with 2 goals in injury time.

From Grind's perspective it's a bit like that - if it had been the opposite, with the Bavarian's winning in extra time.
Grind

Plastic Man wrote:
bearing wrote:
Someone care to translate?


Think Man U vs Bayern Munich 1999 Champions League Final, with the scum coming back from 1-0 down with 2 goals in injury time.

From Grind's perspective it's a bit like that - if it had been the opposite, with the Bavarian's winning in extra time.


Exactly - however, since it was the 73rd home game of the season, it could be argued that it was a little less important in the overall scheme of things.  

The win should mean the Red Sox comfortably make it into the play-offs where, if all goes well, they will meet the evil empire, the Yankees, in the equivalent of the semi-final for the World Series (they play in the same league, so can never meet in the final itself). I've not been to a baseball game between Boston and NY, but they are supposedly a little lively (mostly, it has to be said, due to the huge chip on most Bostonians shoulders - again, some parallels, eh?).

It did take me quite a while to get into baseball, but it possibly helped that I played and watched a lot of cricket back in England, so I have a very high boredom threshold. There's not much happening most of the time, but it can be a fairly subtle game in much the same way as the decent bowlers attempt to lure "proper" batsmen out of their comfort zone in test cricket.

One of the pitchers hit 100mph last night. I used to be horrible batting against anyone who could get above 70mph in cricket.  
Grind

Dock wrote:
Grind, I've only ever got into the NBA and NFL with regard to U.S. sports. I don't get the baseball thing. Did it take a while for you to get into the baseball? And do you like the American footy and Basketball? Do they still show the College football games on a Saturday. Ace! Spent an excellent Saturday afternoon/early evening in a bar in Brooklyn watching College football once. (Hic)  


I've yet to really watch much basketball (although I've occasionally made up numbers to play in pick-up games), but I do usually try to watch some of the finals. I like watching ice hockey, but can't really quite relate to it properly as I was never good at either skating or field hockey - the latter of which seemed to be used as a form of sporting punishment at school.

NFL and the MLB are much more my idea of fun here. I think of their football as being a quasi-replacement for our football and the baseball is, errr, horizontal cricket with even sillier outfits.

College gridiron dominates Saturday sport and quite a few of the college teams seem better supported than their supposedly bigger and better NFL cousins. Strange.

I guess there is nothing remotely similar to this set-up in Blighty - it still doesn't seem quite right to me that colleges admit students soley on sporting criteria, but it's just the way things are done here. Not exactly worse, but definitely different.

Apparently a few people play soccer here too. Mostly girls though.
Dock

Grind wrote:
Dock wrote:
Grind, I've only ever got into the NBA and NFL with regard to U.S. sports. I don't get the baseball thing. Did it take a while for you to get into the baseball? And do you like the American footy and Basketball? Do they still show the College football games on a Saturday. Ace! Spent an excellent Saturday afternoon/early evening in a bar in Brooklyn watching College football once. (Hic)  


I've yet to really watch much basketball (although I've occasionally made up numbers to play in pick-up games), but I do usually try to watch some of the finals. I like watching ice hockey, but can't really quite relate to it properly as I was never good at either skating or field hockey - the latter of which seemed to be used as a form of sporting punishment at school.

NFL and the MLB are much more my idea of fun here. I think of their football as being a quasi-replacement for our football and the baseball is, errr, horizontal cricket with even sillier outfits.

College gridiron dominates Saturday sport and quite a few of the college teams seem better supported than their supposedly bigger and better NFL cousins. Strange.

I guess there is nothing remotely similar to this set-up in Blighty - it still doesn't seem quite right to me that colleges admit students soley on sporting criteria, but it's just the way things are done here. Not exactly worse, but definitely different.

Apparently a few people play soccer here too. Mostly girls though.


Re: Colleges accepting students on sporting merit. Excellent novel about this subject and the have/and have not college kids of the U.S. called 'I am Charlotte Simmons' by Tom Wolfe. BUY IT NOW!

As for the college teams being more supported than the professionals. Totally true. When I did a semester in Tennessee, the football team at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville used to get about 110, 000 for home games. Facking mental!

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Sports
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune