Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishual Entertainment
Dock

Promises & Lies: The Story of UB40

Never been a fan, bit before my time, and they've never really captured my imagination. But I enjoyed this BBC 4 docu. Quite liked their early stuff on the programme but the real twist of the story was how this very close set of mates (including numerous siblings in the Campbell family) were ripped apart by bad feeling and money problems. Really sad that their story has ended how it has.
fartcatcher

It's annoying when a band who trade on 'being just a bunch of schoolmates' turn out to be a bunch of pretentious money-grabbing twats. Particularly as they are related.

I saw them in Birmingham early eighties and they were quite good. Lost interest when they started doing duets with Chrissy Hinde.
Frazier Cranium

Re: Promises & Lies: The Story of UB40

Dock wrote:
Never been a fan, bit before my time, and they've never really captured my imagination. But I enjoyed this BBC 4 docu. Quite liked their early stuff on the programme but the real twist of the story was how this very close set of mates (including numerous siblings in the Campbell family) were ripped apart by bad feeling and money problems. Really sad that their story has ended how it has.


Yes, and it makes them all look like tw@ts too,
Plastic Man

fartcatcher wrote:
It's annoying when a band who trade on 'being just a bunch of schoolmates' turn out to be a bunch of pretentious money-grabbing twats. Particularly as they are related.


They used to drink in the Eagle and Tun near Digbeth around the same time when it was one of my regular haunts, though I never met them. In fairness, they probably did genuinely start out in the spirit of schoolmates, but living in each other's pockets in the glare of publicity would be hard enough when things are going well. When things are going downhill and aren't so rosy, I can imagine the previously overlooked frictions become intolerable and the in-fighting starts.
Late Doors

First two albums were ace, really got the dub thing going as well. Did i ever tell you that the band were instrumental in my very near departure from this mortal coil back in '81 ?
Frazier Cranium

You didn't tell me mate, no.

SOMEONE in that band has either trousered a bleedin' fortune or they're very unlucky or just stupid with finances.

There's one thing worse, well no there's a few actually, but anyway, worse than being thieved from is being accused of something you haven't done.  And the documentary was made 2 years ago?  At that stage both 'sides' said they had both spent £250k in legal fees arguing over the use of the name UB40.
Late Doors

Ah well. 'twas on teh bus coming back from Bradford to Udders after seeing them at The St George Hall. Coming through Wyke on what the locals calll Hell Fire Road just before the old Red Lion the driver starts doing Sterling Moss impressions and sends the full bus across the road through a wall and into the only tree in the field that stopped us going on a somersaulting trip down the bank into the valley bottom. As it was the bus was a mangled wreck smashed into the tree. I was thrown backwards as it went over and woke up half way through a window some time later as the ambullance and fire brigade cut the bus open to free people. No one was killed but the poor conductor had an amputation and a lot of people had bad facial cuts. I  got away with a bashed up back that still gives me Jipp but y'know, i dont like going on about it
Frazier Cranium

Blimey
Grind

I'll double that Blimey.

I hope they didn't charge you full fare.

Mrs G has a "Best of" theirs somewhere or other on our shuffle thingummy.

They're not horrible, but not that great either?
Grind

"Dere's a boos in da big tree what are we gonna do?"
Cutsyke

Those first two albums are great though. Indeed, arhem, http://sabotagetimes.com/music/red-red-whine-a-rousing-defence-of-ub40

Money changes relationships.
Frazier Cranium

Cutsyke wrote:
Those first two albums are great though. Indeed, arhem, http://sabotagetimes.com/music/red-red-whine-a-rousing-defence-of-ub40

Money changes relationships.


Signing Off is a cracking debut.  Not that I bought it anywhere near the time and I'm now off to get Present Arms.  I really didn't like their later stuff - I don't mind it that much these days - but Signing Off is like a serious band with something to say.
carp

Late Doors wrote:
Ah well. 'twas on teh bus coming back from Bradford to Udders after seeing them at The St George Hall. Coming through Wyke on what the locals calll Hell Fire Road just before the old Red Lion the driver starts doing Sterling Moss impressions and sends the full bus across the road through a wall and into the only tree in the field that stopped us going on a somersaulting trip down the bank into the valley bottom. As it was the bus was a mangled wreck smashed into the tree. I was thrown backwards as it went over and woke up half way through a window some time later as the ambullance and fire brigade cut the bus open to free people. No one was killed but the poor conductor had an amputation and a lot of people had bad facial cuts. I  got away with a bashed up back that still gives me Jipp but y'know, i dont like going on about it


If was a number 10 you could have been a one in.........

Never mind

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishual Entertainment
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune