Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Life in the fish bowl
Dock

I Know my Place

I was on the train home yesterday and it was a bit full, which is to be expected on a late afternoon. I was stood and it was a bit squashed, so I manoeuvred into the next carriage which was first class and stood at the end of the carriage in a little alcove bit reading my Kindle, not bothering any bugger. The guard came along to check tickets, I showed him my pass and he asked me to move back into the second class carriage. I appealed by stating that I was only stood in here because it was a bit full in the other carriage and wasn’t even using a first class seat. He asked me again and then me being me (leave it) asked if there was a difference in quality or cost between the carpet I was stood on in first class as opposed to second class? He didn’t say anything, realising it was a case of his-ball-his-rules and not wanting to end up on some banning order if I carried on debating the point, I just acquiesced and moved back to standing in the second class carriage.

So here’s the thing Reggies. Was I being a churlish moron in not doing as I was told straight away, or did I have grounds for feeling that I had been deemed a common vagabond who shouldn’t be allowed to stand near more affluent people who pay for first class travel? You decide…………

Heyho

So if you went to York races with a general ground entry pass would you kick up a fuss if you weren't allowed entry into the winners enclosure.

You were being a knob to be honest. There may be a separate argument as to why there are different classes but whilst they are you have paid for an area in 2nd class and those in 1st class have paid (sorry their company have paid) for 1st class. So forget any inequalities, it's life
Dock

Heyho wrote:
So if you went to York races with a general ground entry pass would you kick up a fuss if you weren't allowed entry into the winners enclosure.

You were being a knob to be honest. There may be a separate argument as to why there are different classes but whilst they are you have paid for an area in 2nd class and those in 1st class have paid (sorry their company have paid) for 1st class. So forget any inequalities, it's life


I could understand it and agree with you if I was sitting in a first class seat that I hadn't paid for but I was standing. Re Races. You pay extra for a better view of the course so quite right that people who don't pay the same shouldn't have the same view. But all I was doing was stood at the end of the carriage. I wasn't getting more than I'd paid for or conning anybody. I wasn't in anybody's way or owt.
Heyho

Dock wrote:
Heyho wrote:
So if you went to York races with a general ground entry pass would you kick up a fuss if you weren't allowed entry into the winners enclosure.

You were being a knob to be honest. There may be a separate argument as to why there are different classes but whilst they are you have paid for an area in 2nd class and those in 1st class have paid (sorry their company have paid) for 1st class. So forget any inequalities, it's life


I could understand it and agree with you if I was sitting in a first class seat that I hadn't paid for but I was standing. Re Races. You pay extra for a better view of the course so quite right that people who don't pay the same shouldn't have the same view. But all I was doing was stood at the end of the carriage. I wasn't getting more than I'd paid for or conning anybody. I wasn't in anybody's way or owt.


But you pay more for first class on a train. Better seating and more leg room (alledgedly). At least that is what those in 1st class think. So let them think that whilst you think you've spent half what they have and still getting from A to B (albeit standing).

Many a moon ago I was flown to Grenoble on business by HP. The majority of the party I was with were booked in BA's standard cabin but for some reason I was booked into 1st class. Was expecting reclining bed seats, full individual TV's etc. All I got was champagne instead of sparking wine and some less shitty sarnie. Wasn't impressed.
Dock

Heyho wrote:
Dock wrote:
Heyho wrote:
So if you went to York races with a general ground entry pass would you kick up a fuss if you weren't allowed entry into the winners enclosure.

You were being a knob to be honest. There may be a separate argument as to why there are different classes but whilst they are you have paid for an area in 2nd class and those in 1st class have paid (sorry their company have paid) for 1st class. So forget any inequalities, it's life


I could understand it and agree with you if I was sitting in a first class seat that I hadn't paid for but I was standing. Re Races. You pay extra for a better view of the course so quite right that people who don't pay the same shouldn't have the same view. But all I was doing was stood at the end of the carriage. I wasn't getting more than I'd paid for or conning anybody. I wasn't in anybody's way or owt.


But you pay more for first class on a train. Better seating and more leg room (alledgedly). At least that is what those in 1st class think.

It's not as if I was some Mod off me knackers on speed, smoking, and taking up a seat on the 5.15 to Brighton. I was on the 4.38 to Brough stood up quietly reading a Dickens novel. Different ball park n' that.

Grind

I guess you obviously shouldn't be there, but I also imagine there should be (but I'm guessing there isn't) some sort of Health and Safety thing in place that requires that there be a seat available for everyone on the train too.

More importantly though, did you at least cab it?!

My personal pet peeve here is with disabled parking spots - specifically how many there often are and, when they are being used, how little they seem to be used by disabled people.

I have absolutely no problem with a, errr, healthy number of spaces being available for the genuinely disabled (*) and their carers, obviously, but there are many places where you pass through a sea of empty disabled spaces only to find nowhere you can legally park.

* I'm not convinced that being a lardy fat arse should qualify you as disabled and I know of at least one person who continues to use a disabled sticker that was issued for someone who died three years ago.
Grind

I suppose "dead" does strictly count as disabled.
Grind

* Shoots big toe off *
Cutsyke

Odd one. You weren't really enjoying any of the benefits of first class as you were stood up. Odder still is that we pay for tickets and accept that there may not be a seat for us to actually sit in. Is there a standing limit posted per carriage?
smiling badger

Im with you all the way on this one Dock.
You pay good money for a seat on a train. If there arent enough seats for the ticket that you have paid for why on earth are you not allowed to sit let alone stand in First Class.
My girlfriend has to cope with this every day on her commute to that there London.
Its only recent that she manages to get away with being able to sit in First Class if no other seats are available because she is pregnant.
Some ticket Inspectors still question her until told to find her a seat elsewhere and she will move.
Heyho

Ahh but Dock - do you pronounce Brough, Brow or Bruf. Depending on your answer could mean the difference between 1st and 2nd class
Dock

smiling badger wrote:
Im with you all the way on this one Dock.
You pay good money for a seat on a train. If there arent enough seats for the ticket that you have paid for why on earth are you not allowed to sit let alone stand in First Class.
My girlfriend has to cope with this every day on her commute to that there London.
Its only recent that she manages to get away with being able to sit in First Class if no other seats are available because she is pregnant.
Some ticket Inspectors still question her until told to find her a seat elsewhere and she will move.


And another issue arising from your post Badge: Why don't people give up their seat for a pregnant woman? People can be shitty can't they. I was brought up to do that, or give up my seat on the bus to an elderly person.

My commute is a doddle compared to what she must face heading into the capital.
Dock

Heyho wrote:
Ahh but Dock - do you pronounce Brough, Brow or Bruf. Depending on your answer could mean the difference between 1st and 2nd class


Bruf. Definitely Bruf.

*wipes nose with sleeve*
Plastic Man

I'll tell you why we don't want these second class oiks cluttering up the first class carriages.

They get in the way of one's servants going about their important duties.

***Eddie, make it a double and go easy on the tonic. And while you're about it, chin that tosser prattling away on his mobile. I've absolutely no interest in hearing about his sales targets for Q4 and a running commentary on the stations we're passing through...***
Grind

I'll give up my seat for a pretty woman on the offchance she might become pregnant.

It just seems like the right thing to do.
Dock

Plastic Man wrote:
I'll tell you why we don't want these second class oiks cluttering up the first class carriages.

They get in the way of one's servants going about their important duties.

***Eddie, make it a double and go easy on the tonic. And while you're about it, chin that tosser prattling away on his mobile. I've absolutely no interest in hearing about his sales targets for Q4 and a running commentary on the stations we're passing through...***


May I compliment you your Grace with the recent adaptations to your personal Pullman carriage. Especially the drink-serving flamingos and Michael Buble employed as a guard serenading the royal party with hits from the swing era as he clips their tickets.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Life in the fish bowl
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune