Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Clean the tank
Late Doors

I'd like to know

Why, when i look at a yellow unread thread, read it, go back to the topic list the next topic that i haven't read is  no longer flagged ie marked as read when i haven't in fact read it. Not a massive issue i know but you can see the danger can't you, i mean i might think ive read a topic but in fact i might have missed something really funny/important/interesting or one of  t'bs posts  
fartcatcher

I always use 'View Posts since last visit'.

You can easily identify any threads that t'B tstarted or last posted on  
bearing

Mine works fine ta
lolwarlol

So if there is a list of topics marked unread and you read the third one in the list, for me, the top two topics also get marked read.
Forest

bearing wrote:
Mine works fine ta


Me too.
bearing

Forest wrote:
bearing wrote:
Mine works fine ta


Me too.


Late Doors

Well that's that sorted then. Thanks, shall i try turning it on and off since that is about the standard of techinical help around here. Admin are going to be skint at this rate
bearing

Late Doors wrote:
Well that's that sorted then. Thanks, shall i try turning it on and off since that is about the standard of techinical help around here. Admin are going to be skint at this rate


Aye, give it a quick flick.

The site is fine, I suggest the problem lies your end.

Anyway, you're admin, can't you sort it out?
Late Doors

A picnic probelm then eh ? problem in chair not in computer. Ok ta for at least giving it some thought, what do you think might be causing it at this end then?
bearing

Late Doors wrote:
A picnic probelm then eh ? problem in chair not in computer. Ok ta for at least giving it some thought, what do you think might be causing it at this end then?


Usually some kind of caching problem, the system works by kind of looking on your computer to see what you've read.

Top right of the forum front page you'll see 'posts since last visit', you could use that if need be.
Plastic Man

As others have suggested, I normally use the "view posts since last visit" option, and open it in a new tab.

I think the problem may arise from how the site defines a visit. If it defines it as  going to the home page, then if you navigate away from the home page to view a thread and then return to the home page, it might define that as a new visit and therefore mark everything as being old posts.
bearing

Plastic Man wrote:
As others have suggested, I normally use the "view posts since last visit" option, and open it in a new tab.

I think the problem may arise from how the site defines a visit. If it defines it as  going to the home page, then if you navigate away from the home page to view a thread and then return to the home page, it might define that as a new visit and therefore mark everything as being old posts.


It drops a cookie onto your computer to flag that you've read a certain post, when you go back to the main page or any other section for that matter the site interrogates your machine, notices which posts you've read and marks it as read.  Not sure what is happening on LD's machine, but it's likely that it has to do with the retention of cookies.
Plastic Man

I don't dispute what you say - mine was a suggestion based on observation rather than any knowledge how these things actually work.

This site does appear to deal with marking posts as read differently to others.
Grind

I'm facking ace at retaining cookies, me.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Clean the tank
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune