Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Strange plaices
Late Doors

Holmfirth Vineyard, first of the Summer Wine

Favourite niece got us an unusual Xmas present last year. She sponsored a vine under our name in the recently created Holmfirth vineyard along with a tour of the place that we took on Sunday. Perched high up in the Holme Valley aka summer wine country not much thrives up there. Only the hardiest sheep graze on the semi moorland where only the toughest grass grows. Its harsh, bleak and cold even in the summer months. Spectacularly beautiful of course, it has the stunning views across to Holme Moss, Digley Reservoir and Holmfirth itself that attracted the owners to buy the 7 acre property in the first place with no idea what they were going to do with it. They planted 7000 vines in 2008 using hardy east European varieties and have had two successful harvests now with a third on schedule for this October.

The morning started with a full English breakfast in the stylish contemporary cafe maximising the panoramic views across the valley over the young vines. Excellent near sourced produce, quality, taste and well cooked served with friendly local unpretentious hospitality,  a great start.

About twenty of us gathered around the guide halfway down the hill surrounded by the 3fthigh juvenile vines  with the wind lashing around our ears watering the eyes and making harem scarem scarecrows out of anyone with hair. An informative tour conducted by a lad who also seemed to be some kind of supervisor around the place. No slick presentation, cosy PR or corporate spiel just straight up chat with a bit of banter and Yorkshire humour thrown in for nowt. We learnt about the history and growing of the crop along with the species and logistics up to harvesting before we retired to the indoor comfort of the actual wine making.

I say comfort, nothing much more than a sparse cold corrugated barn rattling in the wind with bits of machinery tucked around the perimeter all within an area the size of an average tap room. All a bit underwhelming   but clearly efficient and crafted and if the lad himself is anything to go by done with care, enthusiasm and pride.

Then the tasting. I'm not a wine drinker. A red with steak or pizza and a dry white with a special fish dish is about my limit but clearly the vast majority of the party were. Including of course the mandatory knowalls and vainglorious feckers that these kind of tours attract. We had one white and two Roses and they tasted pretty fine to me.

Apparently Britain is the next big trendy region in the wine world. Huddersfield  will be the epicentre naturally so not only will we be able to boast t'best ale we'll also have t'best plonk in the world. Chin-Chin.
fartcatcher

Uncle Mort will be turning in his grave.
Dock

Sounds inspiring LD but as for Britain being the next big trendy wine region in the world? Sounds like knackers to me. Where did that golden nugget of a scoop come from, The Wine Producers of Great Britain Yearly Almanac? The Spanish, French, Italians, And New World wine producers must be shitting themselves. We have all that fantastic drizzle and all they've got is millennia of experience in irrigation and cultivation. Oh yes, and sunshine. I forgot that last bit.

If Britain could be a big wine producing region why hasn't anybody exploited its full potential yet?

Have a cookie you're delirious.
Plastic Man

Who'd have thought... Kirklees Kianti!
Dock

Plastic Man wrote:
Who'd have thought... Kirklees Kianti!




Kirklees. Fine Wines & Pug Fucking!

It's a logo for a poster waiting to be made. It really is.
Late Doors

Ahh well y'see. You've falling right into the same old trap all you people from non wine growing regions fall into. Of course we wont be able to grow Mediterranean types like yer classic merlot and nebbiolo but there are plenty of other newer types that thrive in our colder climate. I may also point out that we were growing vines in this country under the Roman occupations 2000 years ago. Soil is a massive factor in wine production and it's an ineluctable fact that our soil is full of natural fertilizer and the good people of Holmfirth thick as clay. Quite the opposite as it happens of our neighbours to the north east where the soil is thick as clay and the people full of.....well, you work it out .

The wine world like many other worlds patronised by the rich and frivolous is prone to fashions and trends that are totally independent of quality. Take the mediocrity of pinot grigio for instance. Aside from that its also well documented that our sparkling whites are as good as anywhere in terms of real quality. So in summary, take your big city naysaying cynicism and envious mocking of actual graft and stick to paying 6 quid a glass in yer poncey big city wine bars and we'll stick to just making it and selling it to yer.
Dock

Late Doors wrote:
Ahh well y'see. You've falling right into the same old trap all you people from non wine growing regions fall into. Of course we wont be able to grow Mediterranean types like yer classic merlot and nebbiolo but there are plenty of other newer types that thrive in our colder climate. I may also point out that we were growing vines in this country under the Roman occupations 2000 years ago. Soil is a massive factor in wine production and it's an ineluctable fact that our soil is full of natural fertilizer and the good people of Holmfirth thick as clay. Quite the opposite as it happens of our neighbours to the north east where the soil is thick as clay and the people full of.....well, you work it out .

The wine world like many other worlds patronised by the rich and frivolous is prone to fashions and trends that are totally independent of quality. Take the mediocrity of pinot grigio for instance. Aside from that its also well documented that our sparkling whites are as good as anywhere in terms of real quality. So in summary, take your big city naysaying cynicism and envious mocking of actual graft and stick to paying 6 quid a glass in yer poncey big city wine bars and we'll stick to just making it and selling it to yer.




I don't go in Poncy wine bars and I certainly don't drink overpriced wine in pubs because most of what you get in pubs is Chateau le Shit. I think wine is a massive rip off in pubs. Saying that I will spend 10-15 quid for a bottle of red for home because I know which mass produced wines are worth buying and which are, in the final analysis, acidic piss. My friend Horsforth Sarah (now living in New Zealand and a bigshot at a NZ wine exporters but used to work for an importer in Leeds) used to keep me and Polish Dan (Sarah's boyfriend then, now husband) furnished with free sample bottles, at least a case a month, when me and him shared a house together and we used to get some seriously good stuff and some fucking awful stuff.
Grind

Chateauneuf du pug
Dock

Grind wrote:
Chateauneuf du pug


Shouldn't that be ChateauSIXNeuf du Pug

Just the tipple after a hard session of sodomising Dalmatians.
Late Doors

Yonder Holme Moss

Dock

FFS LD how many times have I told you. Nobody's interested in your giant matchstick farm. You'll never sell any. Plant some veg or summat.
Heyho

You can stuff yer Holmfirth vineyard it's the leventhorpe one that's the dogs bollocks around here:

http://www.sugarvine.com/leeds/fe...ies/feature_stories.asp?story=173
Dock

Heyho wrote:
You can stuff yer Holmfirth vineyard it's the leventhorpe one that's the dogs bollocks around here:

http://www.sugarvine.com/leeds/fe...ies/feature_stories.asp?story=173


Interesting. It'd be even better if whoever wrote the article could spell Temple Newsam properly.
leb

I dropped in to Leventhorpe vineyard last week to buy a few bottles, the geezer has ben producing Wines for 30 years from there, very nice too ! He seemed glad of the company, gave us a little taste of his wines and a potted history of the area. He is a former chemistry teacher and an all round good bloke. Took away 4 bottles for 30 odd quid , great to think that this wine originates 2 miles from my house.

Anyway we just polled up and as I say he seemed happy to see us and tell us a few stories of his visits from Royals ( He had the Duke of Kent there earlier this year) Good on the bloke he deserves to succeed. Yorkshire wine !!
Dock

leb wrote:
I dropped in to Leventhorpe vineyard last week to buy a few bottles, the geezer has ben producing Wines for 30 years from there, very nice too ! He seemed glad of the company, gave us a little taste of his wines and a potted history of the area. He is a former chemistry teacher and an all round good bloke. Took away 4 bottles for 30 odd quid , great to think that this wine originates 2 miles from my house.

Anyway we just polled up and as I say he seemed happy to see us and tell us a few stories of his visits from Royals ( He had the Duke of Kent there earlier this year) Good on the bloke he deserves to succeed. Yorkshire wine !!


Sounds great Leb. A lot better than the Pennine muck LD is trying to push on us. Let us know what the plonk tastes like.
leb

Not too bad was the answer Dock, the longer you leave the bottle open the better it gets.
Late Doors

Sounds good, They'll obviously lack the depth, fragrance, body and complexity of ours though
leb

Late Doors wrote:
Sounds good, They'll obviously lack the depth, fragrance, body and complexity of ours though


Yeah, obviously  

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Strange plaices
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune