Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Life in the fish bowl
bearing

Hey LD!

Is this the fella from Kirklees you were on about that started a brewery?

http://www.northernmonkbrewco.com/brian-dickson

If it is him, the place I saw on the way back from the last match was the pub you were looking for. It's called The Old Flax Store, it was only round the corner from the Bell too so we could have nipped round for an orange squash or two.
Plastic Man

I went there with a friend. Suffice to say that when we walked in, the average age rocketed and the hipster rating plummeted. Enough beards, checked shirts and pointy shoes to warrant opening a restaurant that only sells breakfast cereals at exhorbitant prices.

And talking of things being exhorbitantly priced, most of the beers were.

I cannot figure out for the life of me how these places can justify charging 5, 6 or 7 quid a pint or more, for a product with raw materials that cost pennies. Maybe it's all the the fairy tears and unicorn piss they add that makes it so pricy.

And they can hardly use the usual "city centre rent" or "its the pub company's fault" excuses, seeing they're situated on an out of town industrial estate and make the stuff themselves.

Anyway the couple of sub-£5 beers we sampled were good, but no better than you can get sub-£3 in the city centre in Wetherspoons or Sam Smiths.

If you like exposed brickwork you are in for a treat.

My guess is that LD may have been talking about the Magic Rock brewery in Kirklees.
Late Doors

Yep, that's  the chap. Cheers. Not the Magic Rock Your Grace, that's something else altogether and thanks for the fairy tears and unicorn piss element. That's three fictitious things now in the thread along with this mythical Kirklees place T'b was on about

I've got to say though since you've brought the place up The Magic Rock Tap is extraordinarily good. I'm totally with you in your appraisal of this hipster craft ale drinking culture but this place is something else. Yep expensive but I've never tasted any beer so fascinatingly and intensively good
Plastic Man

Late Doors wrote:
I've got to say though since you've brought the place up The Magic Rock Tap is extraordinarily good. I'm totally with you in your appraisal of this hipster craft ale drinking culture but this place is something else. Yep expensive but I've never tasted any beer so fascinatingly and intensively good


I would anticipate that the quality of the beer is principally down the skills of the head brewer. Imagine my distress on viewing a photograph of him and to discover that he's just won "Beard of Spring Award", from the "Beard Liberation Front", having "beaten off strong challenges from cricketer Moeen Ali and actor Michael Sheen to win the title".

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/we...ic-rock-stuart-ross-beard-8984411

All that was missing was a picture of him paying five quid for a bowl of coco-pops.
Late Doors

 Its a bit of a beard fest at the best of times in there. I didn't realise the town had so many of 'em.

Last thursday was a meet the brewer night with the Gigantic Brewing Co from Portland Oregon and as an extra bonus i had the best burger ive ever had. Beer n Burgers ? what could be better. Cant remember  the name of the burger makers but ill find out. They are terrific
Plastic Man

No coco-pops?

I think what gets my goat most is that some of  the things I enjoy most in life - good beer, burgers and barbeque - have been hijacked by dem yoof, and presented as if the invented them!
bearing

Plastic Man wrote:
No coco-pops?

I think what gets my goat most is that some of  the things I enjoy most in life - good beer, burgers and barbeque - have been hijacked by dem yoof, and presented as if the invented them!


How is that zimmer frame?
Late Doors

 The burger company are called What's your beef and make occasional visits to the Magic Rock along with other so called street vendors. They are truly wonderful

http://www.whatsyourbeefburgers.com/

The thing with Magic Rock is that I have to be selective to enjoy it. Unlike a few of my mates I don't buy the cans or fill "growlers" for home supping I just drink the draught stuff down there perhaps once or twice a month. Yeah its expensive and it's the only place I drink halves but the bearded lady at 10.5% laced with Cacao Nibs, vanilla and cinnamon doesn't really lend itself to throwing down your neck. The place is only half full of hipsters and the rest are just ordinary suppers. The staff are ace, music good and unlike the Brew Dog places I really enjoy it.
bearing

Late Doors wrote:
 The burger company are called What's your beef and make occasional visits to the Magic Rock along with other so called street vendors. They are truly wonderful

http://www.whatsyourbeefburgers.com/



We recently visited the big town that is London, now being a coeliac most towns/cities are pretty limited on the choice of places to eat that will suitably cater for me.  However London is incredible, you can't fail to eat well down there and I had been hankering after a decent burger for years so found this company that are set up brilliantly for gluten free dining in that most of their stuff is suitable.

http://www.honestburgers.co.uk/

They even cook the burgers rare if you fancy which I did.  I must say the food was delicious as was the home made minted lemonade that I washed it all down with.
Late Doors

Had a few Northern Monk brews recently. All bland, dont punch their weight and an overall let down im afraid to say.
Late Doors

If you happen to be passing through or staying in  Ljubljana

Hood Burgers were the best ive ever had prior to the Magic Rock night, Not sure if they do gluten free though

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/ljubljana/hood-burger/
bearing

Late Doors wrote:
Had a few Northern Monk brews recently. All bland, dont punch their weight and an overall let down im afraid to say.


It'll be the fairy tears and unicorn piss (or was it the other war round?) that created such disappointing beer.


Late Doors wrote:
If you happen to be passing through or staying in  Ljubljana

Hood Burgers were the best ive ever had prior to the Magic Rock night, Not sure if they do gluten free though

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/ljubljana/hood-burger/


Just looked on their website, looks lovely but probably not gluten free...
Late Doors

The Whats your beef burger lads were back at the Magic Rock yesterday.

My mate Si had a special woth double everything. The Burger lad was so proud of it he took a picture and put it on his web site. Here it is, the first picture titled the shizzle, the actual monster Si had. Five minutes later it was gone

http://www.whatsyourbeefburgers.com/gallery/

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Life in the fish bowl
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune