Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> All other football
Dock

Final Whistle

Well, its been coming for a few years now. If I did a forensic check it probably started after I gave up my Kop season ticket at LU when it went all seating, and has ended with all the talk of ridiculous closed season transfer prices recently. I have witnessed as season follows season throughout every division in the last ten years:

# An increase in unimportant matches played by teams.

# A national side that are too daft to laugh at, and were a disgrace in the last world cup.

# A big price increase for match tickets (when in Europe many clubs charge less and sometimes half the price that fans over here get charged).

# More frequent movement of players between clubs, to the point where I can’t keep up with transfers.

# A massive number of loan players hopping from club to club.

#  Managers/boards seeming to enjoy the option of rolling contracts.

#  A virus-like apathy amongst players who in many cases, and in many matches that I have watched at all levels, don’t really seem that bothered about giving their all to playing football and winning.

# The scary increase in clubs getting rid of the traditional names of their grounds in order to sell the naming rights to a private company.

The aforementioned points are applicable to every team in every division including our so-called “most competitive top flight in the world” teams as well.


I no longer understand what football fans are supposed to be loyal to?

Is it the players? The majority of which would leave the club they are currently at for an extra £1000 a month. Many of you say “Good luck to them if they can get the money” but that for me that is the crux of the matter. Before the silly pay packets came along there wasn’t half as much movement of players.

Is it the board? Who even at a club like LU that gets big attendances, fail to put money back into buying players and building youth programmes.

Some may say “Well, that the modern game isn’t it” Well here’s the news, fuck the modern game. It’s shit.

Many of you will have read my recent cutting asides to various things at ER, and I think that where that comes from is me trying to talk myself out of following football all together. I’ve fought and fought it, but I just really can’t be arsed with it anymore.

I fundamentally believe that football in this country is ruined beyond repair, and I no longer have the time, money, or interest to dance to the money men’s tune. I am going to try and go cold turkey as of the start of the next season. It’ll be difficult, but I can no longer watch the decline of one of the last great traditions in this country. The cancer of commercial interests is everywhere and in everything in this country and I fucking hate it.

Have a great season whoever you support, but as of now, I’m out.

redcard.gif
Grind

But if you were to support a team, it'd still be Leeds, right?

It's hard not to nod along to most of your points. Sadly.
Dock

Grind wrote:
But if you were to support a team, it'd still be Leeds, right?

It's hard not to nod along to most of your points. Sadly.


Of course it would be. I still want them to win everything in the world.
Sir Bulldog Craggwood

before the late 19th century it was mainly played by school children not adults
Grind

Sir Bulldog Craggwood wrote:
before the late 19th century it was mainly played by school children not adults


Some could argue it still is.
bearing

I blame that murdoch cunt
Grind

She's a wrong 'un and no mistake.
bearing

Grind wrote:
She's a wrong 'un and no mistake.


Who is?
Dock

bearing wrote:
I blame that murdoch cunt


Apart from being a complete spanner and drugging B.A. Baracus in order to get him in a plane or helicopter against his will, I can't see why anybody would have a problem with him. And if you do have a problem with him, and no one else can help, you need the A Te, OH FORGET IT.
fartcatcher

Pretty well agree with you Dock

football's a business, players are a commodity and we are consumers.

I only go to matches because if i didn't then mrs f would drag me round Ikea and that's worse. marginally.  
Dock

fartcatcher wrote:
Pretty well agree with you Dock

football's a business, players are a commodity and we are consumers.

I only go to matches because if i didn't then mrs f would drag me round Ikea and that's worse. marginally.  


Or Kyaking. Whens the next installment of the whitewater adventure?  
Late Doors

Can’t disagree with any of that Dock, those are the issues we all have to think about, it’s a personal choice. I’m going to carry on simply because all those thing you listed are peripheral football things in general and not specifically Leeds Utd.

Put simply, if I stop supporting my team because of all those things I also cut off all the great things about supporting my team. The common craic with my mates, the history I am part of and the hopes I share.

Also, despite all those things you listed, the brilliance and unique spectacle of a game of football is still the same as it ever was and is one of the few things that elevate you to a rare level. Football is still THE beautiful and perfect game in essence. Ken Bates and all those other bodies are not going to take that away.

It will probably and inevitably come to a money based decision. Probably in our 2nd season in the Prem if and when it happens when a cut back will most likely take place. Maybe cut out most of the away trips and silly kick off times. Wont be watching on Sk* though, well not at home  
Dock

Late Doors wrote:
Can’t disagree with any of that Dock, those are the issues we all have to think about, it’s a personal choice. I’m going to carry on simply because all those thing you listed are peripheral football things in general and not specifically Leeds Utd.

Put simply, if I stop supporting my team because of all those things I also cut off all the great things about supporting my team. The common craic with my mates, the history I am part of and the hopes I share.

Also, despite all those things you listed, the brilliance and unique spectacle of a game of football is still the same as it ever was and is one of the few things that elevate you to a rare level. Football is still THE beautiful and perfect game in essence. Ken Bates and all those other bodies are not going to take that away.

It will probably and inevitably come to a money based decision. Probably in our 2nd season in the Prem if and when it happens when a cut back will most likely take place. Maybe cut out most of the away trips and silly kick off times. Wont be watching on Sk* though, well not at home  


As I stated in my initial post, it was in no way just about LU, its about football in general. I've slowly weened myself off it and I can't see any future in it. For me, what you describe as the peripheral stuff, is what adds to what happens on the pitch. As you say the camaraderie of fans and your mates is brill, but I just won't pay into something that benefits the few, instead of the fans and club in general. And recently I have seen pics of LU in the YEP and I just think the players look like advertising hoardings. I find it all a bit tacky and pathetic. I think the most encouraging thing I have read about recently was a load of Arsenal season ticket holders saying no-fucking-more regarding price increases and giving up their tickets. Debt and borrowing within football will implode eventually. Its inevitable. Even the national stadium needs re-turfing god knows how many times a year. And why? Because big business that couldn't give a shit runs our national game, thats why. I'm out.
lolwarlol

I think i once made a post saying similar things, what i discovered as i typed it is that essentially you support the ground. People have been going to the same ground for years, they have seen players, managers, boards and even other fans come and go. The ground is constant. Of course some clubs have moved that but i believe the principle is the same. True football fans see their club through thick and thin and it becomes a routine, a part of their lives. Its the thing they do. The other stuff you mention in your post is 'stuff' that happens. Like the changing of wallpaper in your local boozer.
Dock

Good point about the ground Lol, but the way I see it is the reason why Ken Bates and others like him buy a football club, is because it makes a lot of money. Fair enough. But surely some of the vast amount of gate money taken over a season, should be reinvested in the club and not just going into the pockets of owners. Sure, let them fill their boots with money, after all they did invest in the first place, but they should put something back as well. It seems clear to me, with the level of club debts right across the league, that owners take too much out of a club. Maybe I'm being too Marxist about it, but thats my feelings on it.
lebowski

Re: Final Whistle

Dock wrote:
Well, its been coming for a few years now. If I did a forensic check it probably started after I gave up my Kop season ticket at LU when it went all seating, and has ended with all the talk of ridiculous closed season transfer prices recently. I have witnessed as season follows season throughout every division in the last ten years:

# An increase in unimportant matches played by teams.

# A national side that are too daft to laugh at, and were a disgrace in the last world cup.

# A big price increase for match tickets (when in Europe many clubs charge less and sometimes half the price that fans over here get charged).

# More frequent movement of players between clubs, to the point where I can’t keep up with transfers.

# A massive number of loan players hopping from club to club.

#  Managers/boards seeming to enjoy the option of rolling contracts.

#  A virus-like apathy amongst players who in many cases, and in many matches that I have watched at all levels, don’t really seem that bothered about giving their all to playing football and winning.

# The scary increase in clubs getting rid of the traditional names of their grounds in order to sell the naming rights to a private company.

The aforementioned points are applicable to every team in every division including our so-called “most competitive top flight in the world” teams as well.


I no longer understand what football fans are supposed to be loyal to?

Is it the players? The majority of which would leave the club they are currently at for an extra £1000 a month. Many of you say “Good luck to them if they can get the money” but that for me that is the crux of the matter. Before the silly pay packets came along there wasn’t half as much movement of players.

Is it the board? Who even at a club like LU that gets big attendances, fail to put money back into buying players and building youth programmes.

Some may say “Well, that the modern game isn’t it” Well here’s the news, fuck the modern game. It’s shit.

Many of you will have read my recent cutting asides to various things at ER, and I think that where that comes from is me trying to talk myself out of following football all together. I’ve fought and fought it, but I just really can’t be arsed with it anymore.

I fundamentally believe that football in this country is ruined beyond repair, and I no longer have the time, money, or interest to dance to the money men’s tune. I am going to try and go cold turkey as of the start of the next season. It’ll be difficult, but I can no longer watch the decline of one of the last great traditions in this country. The cancer of commercial interests is everywhere and in everything in this country and I fucking hate it.

Have a great season whoever you support, but as of now, I’m out.

redcard.gif


You'll never keep it up Dock, what will you do with your Saturday afternoons from now on ?
Dock

Thats the deal well and truly sealed for me. I have just watched the 'How to Buy a Football Club' programme from the other night. I knew things were bad, but I am really shocked at how bad. I thought there may have been a bit more reaction to such a bang-to-rights programme on Reg, but maybe the head in the sand approach suits the majority. Different strokes n all that. But this is where it ends for me (football, not Reg).
bearing

Dock wrote:
Thats the deal well and truly sealed for me. I have just watched the 'How to Buy a Football Club' programme from the other night. I knew things were bad, but I am really shocked at how bad. I thought there may have been a bit more reaction to such a bang-to-rights programme on Reg, but maybe the head in the sand approach suits the majority. Different strokes n all that. But this is where it ends for me (football, not Reg).


I never saw it Dock, will catch up with it on iPlayer.

With reference to Lol's thoughts on supporting the ground, I think it's close but not the nail I think we support ghosts, memories so to speak.

I really hope that this NI stuff fucks up the money going into the Premier League, I'd love to see the mighty fall hard.
lolwarlol

bearing wrote:


With reference to Lol's thoughts on supporting the ground, I think it's close but not the nail I think we support ghosts, memories so to speak.



Yes, that is a lot closer to it.
lolwarlol

I've also not seen the program or was even aware that it was on.
lolwarlol

Obviously with hindsight if i could go back knowing what i know now, i would watch the program and be aware of it, but i cant so i cant.

Other than that i would like to add that i am now part of a police investigation and unable to answer any further questions.
grunt

I watched the programme but only in an appropriate manner.
lolwarlol

grunt wrote:
I watched the programme but only in an appropriate manner.


and yet you have waited until now to tell us.
grunt

What I meant was I didn't watch the programme in an inappropriate manner Therefore there was no reason to mention it as it was a thing I didn't do.
lolwarlol

We have seen emails from to the Brooks swap club that suggest your statement regarding your recollection of your watching of the program are at the very least misleading.
lebowski

What a stupid thread this is, someone who never watches football, announces that he isn't going to watch football anymore.

I love you Dock, but come off it.
Dock

lebowski wrote:
What a stupid thread this is, someone who never watches football, announces that he isn't going to watch football anymore.

I love you Dock, but come off it.


Correction. Somebody who used to watch football A LOT. Home and away. But was tying to explain the reasons why I have gradually stopped and I won't ever try to fan the flames of my enthusiasm ever again. I have put a lot into watching LU. Pocket money, most of my wages in my twenties, but this thread is to highlight that I can see something very wrong with something that used to mean a lot to me.

Re: The Brooks enquiry posts. Quality.  
Forest

Dock wrote:
lebowski wrote:
What a stupid thread this is, someone who never watches football, announces that he isn't going to watch football anymore.

I love you Dock, but come off it.

Correction. Somebody who used to watch football A LOT. Home and away. But was tying to explain the reasons why I have gradually stopped and I won't ever try to fan the flames of my enthusiasm ever again. I have put a lot into watching LU. Pocket money, most of my wages in my twenties, but this thread is to highlight that I can see something very wrong with something that used to mean a lot to me.


Football is dead!!! But Fantasy Football isn't, respark your love of the beautiful game by playing an exciting and fun game Dock. You know you want to.
http://regdafishthinktank.com/about10187.html
Dock

Forest wrote:
Dock wrote:
lebowski wrote:
What a stupid thread this is, someone who never watches football, announces that he isn't going to watch football anymore.

I love you Dock, but come off it.

Correction. Somebody who used to watch football A LOT. Home and away. But was tying to explain the reasons why I have gradually stopped and I won't ever try to fan the flames of my enthusiasm ever again. I have put a lot into watching LU. Pocket money, most of my wages in my twenties, but this thread is to highlight that I can see something very wrong with something that used to mean a lot to me.


Football is dead!!! But Fantasy Football isn't, respark your love of the beautiful game by playing an exciting and fun game Dock. You know you want to.
http://regdafishthinktank.com/about10187.html


Tempting, very tempting NOT.

This thread is for me to say I have had enough. I'm not trying to make anybody think the same way. For me, it's simple.

Example: Lets use LU as a for instance (although it could be a lot of other clubs)

Every fortnight or ten days the club will take some serious gate money for home matches. And with an average home crowd in the twenty thousands, that’s a nice bit of change to go in the coffers. A while ago a club with those kind of crowds had no problem splashing out on a new wonder player to bolster the spirits of the current players, and ultimately try to turn a teams game around. Now the days of seeing a headline like ‘United’s New Star Signing’ are few and far between.

So riddle me this, if a club is making decent profits why can’t it buy good influential players? It never used to be a problem. Now the answer’s to this, in my humble opinion could be explained in the following possible reasons:

# The owners of the club are taking most of the money that the club makes.

# All the money that is made is paying current players stupidly high wages.

#  Due to the majority of players consulting their agents on which club to sigh for, they hold out for more lucrative contracts.

So as I have stated before, I think it is plain to see that money has ruined football. Its pretty black and white to me. There is always talk and flummery about wage-capping but its hot air. If they were going to do it they would have brought it in long before now.

And as stated by learned good friend from Cleckhuddersfax earlier on here, that if the buying of players/loan players is classed as “Peripheral” and having nothing to do with the game played on the field, I would counter that saying that it has quite a lot to do with what happens on the field. Feel free to shoot me down in flames on this. I know you will n’ that.


And again the opinions regarding going to watch football of “Oh well, it’s a good laugh” and “it’s the camaraderie” will come up which is fair enough. But whatever happened to striving to win? To plowing money back into a club to make it successful? Since when has settling for mediocrity become ok? Are football fans just supposed to hang around and wait for a bit of luck or for opposing sides to have a bad game?
lolwarlol

I keep coming back to this point. When Bates got his grubby hands on Leeds, they were financially a mess, massive amounts of money had been spent on players to achieve success, fishtanks to amuse a criminal and many other things. Since Bates has had the club, Leeds is financially strong. I would have thought that of all the clubs in this fair land, Leeds fans would have understood a chairman that wasn't prepared to start throwing money around like an Essex girl in a footballers hotel. If Bates had started, frankly where the last people left off, alarm bells would surely started ringing.

I know there are many justified and murky complaints about Bates, but on the issue of throwing the clubs money about i feel he is dammed if he doesn't and dammed if he does.
Forest

So your not joining the Fantasy Football then Dock?  More than three lines in a post and I drift off.


Everybody is welcome, the more the merrier. Come on now there's prizes to be won and there's only three weeks before the season starts.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/


http://regdafishthinktank.com/about10187.html
Dock

As said before Lol, LU was just an example. I think the problem of spiralling players wages is a constant strian on clubs at all levels. And stops many of them having money to re-invest to make their clubs more successful.
Forest

Dock wrote:
As said before Lol, LU was just an example. I think the problem of spiralling players wages is a constant strian on clubs at all levels. And stops many of them having money to re-invest to make their clubs more successful.


Is that a No?
Late Doors

What I think or at least meant to say was that the peripheral things have nothing to do with me supporting my club, Course they have everything to do with “the game” I’ll say this again though and that is that I disagree with nothing Dock is saying. And I’ll go further than T’Bs spot on thing about supporting Ghosts(very good that t’b) and re iterate what I said earlier and that is we all support the ghosts of seasons to come, the hopes that once more 40,000 plus people will flock to the ground and see us win something or stick it to Chelsea, Roma or manu again.

I haven’t watched that program so I can’t comment about the head in sand thing but im sure it will only consolidate my ever decreasing interest in the football business but again that doesn’t affect my love (yes , proper love) for Leeds United football club

oh and re the Brookes diversion,  
Dock

Late Doors

 twat
Mick McCann

Dosher made a similar proclamation just after we bought Rio.

I'd add to your list the cheating and way that players go down should someone shout their name from the crowd or breathe in the same city and refs give the free kicks. Nani is the worst I've seen.

It stops the game from flowing.
sheeps

Mick McCann wrote:
Dosher made a similar proclamation just after we bought Rio.

I'd add to your list the cheating and way that players go down should someone shout their name from the crowd or breathe in the same city and refs give the free kicks. Nani is the worst I've seen.

It stops the game from flowing.


Drogba.
Dock

Then Suarez said this and Ferguson said that and Terry did this and the FA said that and Redknapp said this but Capello did that. On and on and fucking on. British football has been turned into a conversation by school girls at a bus stop. As long as the media machine make it front page instead of back page football is a tiresome joke that will collapse in on itself and will make people, however gradually, realise that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter and lose interest in it. Its pathetic. End of dispatch.
Dock

Saw the beeb last night about fivish and that piece of wood pesenter 'Chappers' and Garth Crooks were pissing their knickers over will or won't Chelsea sack their manager over the defeat at West Brom yeterday. As a lot of football fans have it seem the presenters have become as caught up in the bullshit soap opera wank of the premier league.

Wiil Chelsea sack their manager? Don't ask me because I couldn't give two fucks. And you can quote me on that.

And another thing I saw on T'magic lantern machine the other day was a 'Breakdown of Employees' at Rangers. 32 playing staff and 11 coaching staff. What the fuck do they find to do all day? Fucking eleven coaching staff????? It's not as if they are in the NFL.

Anyway, football is a load of bollocks. End of dispatch.
Late Doors

i agree but  you see something like Van Persies second goal on MOTD and it just makes you gasp at the brilliance of it and what the game can produce. Yesterdays game at ER as well was brilliant to be a part of as well. It's a massive paradox that seems to have me in its permanent clutches if you'll forgive the melodrama. Nothing else can make me feel like football and i think i'd be a fool if i pretended otherwise.
Seal

So AVB's been shoved into football's fastest revolving door then. I feel for Chelsea and their shattered dreams for this season, I really do...  n't  


Hey Dock we know your feelings and believe it or not may even agree with some of them. You're harshing my mellow, man. Can't you let it go now buddy?
Kingmaker of Lilliput

There was no point giving AVB that job if you wern't prepared to give him the time.
Dock

Seal wrote:
So AVB's been shoved into football's fastest revolving door then. I feel for Chelsea and their shattered dreams for this season, I really do...  n't  


Hey Dock we know your feelings and believe it or not may even agree with some of them. You're harshing my mellow, man. Can't you let it go now buddy?


Re: "Can't you let it go now buddy." Thats code for "shut the fuck up you fucking whining toerag" isn't it. I speak fluent Sarfend me!


I shall do your bidding and never darken this section or the Leeds section again Sealster. Yes yes I know I have said it before but I know teddys have been thrown out of cots recently by some on here regarding my negative take on football and that I dare have an opinion that differs from their own (you fundamentalists are all the same) so I'll leave you all to it. I have seen through the sham of what football has become and I have vented enough about it. I'm done.

See you in the soul section you southern bastard!
Forest

Dock wrote:
I shall do your bidding and never darken this section or the Leeds section again Sealster.


Don't do that, I look forward to your anti modern football rants. I liked how you described the Premier League as 'bullshit soap opera wank'   Spot on.
Seal

Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
So AVB's been shoved into football's fastest revolving door then. I feel for Chelsea and their shattered dreams for this season, I really do...  n't  


Hey Dock we know your feelings and believe it or not may even agree with some of them. You're harshing my mellow, man. Can't you let it go now buddy?


Re: "Can't you let it go now buddy." Thats code for "shut the fuck up you fucking whining toerag" isn't it. I speak fluent Sarfend me!


I shall do your bidding and never darken this section or the Leeds section again Sealster. Yes yes I know I have said it before but I know teddys have been thrown out of cots recently by some on here regarding my negative take on football and that I dare have an opinion that differs from their own (you fundamentalists are all the same) so I'll leave you all to it. I have seen through the sham of what football has become and I have vented enough about it. I'm done.

See you in the soul section you southern bastard!


Oh bollocks, who am I to say what you can post on actually; I'll just skip over bits where I can sense you buikding up to a rant  

Dock

Back. I can't stay away me. You all know what this thread contains by now so just don't click on it if you don't like football being held up to scrutiny.

This morning I saw on the telly that the customary handshake before the QPR V Chelsea game will be cancelled due to the ongoing John Terry legal proceedings.

Question: Why hasn't this been nipped in the bud ages ago and why wasn't he suspended? I'll tell you why, because nobody is in charge of British football anymore. There is no discipline. If a club is financially big enough they are bulletproof. There is no set ruling on incidents like the Terry thing. He's been allowed to carry on because he's a good footballer and his team need him. Its an abosolute fucking farce. And this is all going on in a division that Leeds fans want their team to be promoted into? Veeeeeeeeeery odd aspiration.

And when/if they get promoted and get all that luverly money will the caterers who have their shop round the corner from where I live get the £1600 they were owed by LUFC before the Mighty Leeds cowered behind the curtain of administration and paid them nowt that they owed? No, I didn't think so. Immoral bastards! That is all..........................for now!
sheeps

A relief for anyone about to shake JT's hand. Horrible bloke.
Dock

sheeps wrote:
A relief for anyone about to shake JT's hand. Horrible bloke.


I don't know what it is about Terry but when I see him interviewed he always strikes me as a right shifty bastard.
Late Doors

If Chels win the Euro cup and despite him being banned for the game he can still collect the trophy. They are making it very difficult for me to want them to win it.
Dock

So with all that he already has on his plate, I read today that Roy Hodgson has to mediate and have seperate meetings with Rio Ferdinand and John Terry to see if they can play nicely together in the upcoming Euro 2012 because of the trouble with Rio's cousin.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Its like a bunch of school girls at a bus stop. What a load of knackerbobbins! Footballers in this country used to be real men.
fartcatcher

Terry's been crap for years. Only gets a game because he's got lots of hard mates with shooters.
North Country Boy

Saw today on the Beeb about Liverpool and their possible stadium move. I know a lot of you on here are loyal to your respective teams even with the constant erosion of the traditions of football in this country, but how many of you would still go and watch your team if they moved from their traditional ground? Would you be prepared to go along with a change of that magnitude? I'm  just interested in what people think on this.
Grind

North Country Boy wrote:
Saw today on the Beeb about Liverpool and their possible stadium move. I know a lot of you on here are loyal to your respective teams even with the constant erosion of the traditions of football in this country, but how many of you would still go and watch your team if they moved from their traditional ground? Would you be prepared to go along with a change of that magnitude? I'm  just interested in what people think on this.


I'd be quite glad if Leeds shifted their stadium, say, three thousand or so miles to the west.
Grind

And down a bit too.
North Country Boy

Grind wrote:
North Country Boy wrote:
Saw today on the Beeb about Liverpool and their possible stadium move. I know a lot of you on here are loyal to your respective teams even with the constant erosion of the traditions of football in this country, but how many of you would still go and watch your team if they moved from their traditional ground? Would you be prepared to go along with a change of that magnitude? I'm  just interested in what people think on this.


I'd be quite glad if Leeds shifted their stadium, say, three thousand or so miles to the west.


Fucking wisenheimer!
Grind

I guess my real answer would centre around how much effort the club puts into making a "real" stadium with character rather than a cookie-cutter monstrosity with accessible parking in an otherwise uninspiring quasi-industrial setting.

I don't know where the provisional Liverpool stadium is in relation to Anfield, but I always quite liked the fact that Goodison Park was so nearby.

I was chatting with my Reading-supporting mate over the weekend and we were both of the opinion that the old Elm Park ground, though a bit of a shit-hole, was still in some ways a better place to watch football than the new Madejski stadium.

I (mostly) feel similarly about other clubs where I've visited older and newer facilities (e.g. Sunderland, Ayresome Park etc. etc.)

I'm an old fart, me.
bearing

Villa Park always strikes me as a loveley old ground that has been sympathetically updated.

This facade is only matched by the old Highbury.

Grind

It's in a shit bit of Birmingham though.......
bearing

Grind wrote:
It's in a shit bit of Birmingham though.......


That is subjective of course...  
Grind

bearing wrote:
Grind wrote:
It's in a shit bit of Birmingham though.......


That is subjective of course...  


True. It's an even shittier part of Birmingham.  
Late Doors

We had a vote yonks ago to move away from ER under Ridsdale and tragically and regretfully i voted yes. Not proud of that but can't deny i swallowed the dream and guff. One of the few good things about our demise is the fact that we didn't move away from ER and i hope it never gets mooted again.
Dock

Late Doors wrote:
We had a vote yonks ago to move away from ER under Ridsdale and tragically and regretfully i voted yes. Not proud of that but can't deny i swallowed the dream and guff. One of the few good things about our demise is the fact that we didn't move away from ER and i hope it never gets mooted again.


I remember a debate about a ducks inheritence and if there was a danger of him spending it all on a cocaine habit. It was a moot about a coot getting some loot and blowing it all on toot.
Late Doors

 very good that. 9/10
Plastic Man

Dock wrote:
I remember a debate about a ducks inheritence and if there was a danger of him spending it all on a cocaine habit. It was a moot about a coot getting some loot and blowing it all on toot.


I don't wanna ruck, and I sure don't give a fuck about a duck, but I do give a hoot about the coot. Coots ain't no duck.

An untidy-bearded, former Goodie explains... "Ducks are waterfowl. Coots are in the rail family, in the same avian order as cranes."
Dock

Late Doors wrote:
 very good that. 9/10


Not as good as an argument about the very same duck that some of his female friends had about his atractiveness when practicing with a medieval instrument. It was a moot about him being cute on his lute.

I think its best if I fuck off now.
Grind

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=45b_1338440502
Dock

As a human you can never hear everything. it's impossible. But after a news feature on the radio today I really do feel qualified to say I have definitely heard it all now! Your club could be next, whoever you support!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/28...ff-city-confirm-kit-colour-change
sheeps

Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.
Grind

sheeps wrote:
Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.


And we definitely played in red at least once.  
sheeps

Grind wrote:
sheeps wrote:
Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.


And we definitely played in red at least once.  


I saw em play in red at least once. Think it was a cup match v Swansea at Elland Road. I was only a lad.
bearing

Dock

sheeps wrote:
Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.


You are missing my point Sheepster. Which was that the owners of the club are changing the traditional colour of a kit to make it more marketable to a foreign fan base. It just seems a bit sad to me. Fair enough having fans from all over following a club, but changing its traditions to entice people thousands of miles away to watch them on telly is a new low. Maybe with all the shit sandwiches that English fans seem to enjoying swallowing from the owners of their chosen clubs the colour of the strip doesn't matter anymore? Maybe I have totally misjudged what matters to fans. Maybe traditions don't matter to any of you. Maybe LU could play in a nice shade of puce next season if this kind of thing isn't important.
Grind

Anyone go to this game?

Grind

Stoke (A) in 1970-1 season - we lost 3-0.
Plastic Man

Dock wrote:
You are missing my point Sheepster. Which was that the owners of the club are changing the traditional colour of a kit to make it more marketable to a foreign fan base. It just seems a bit sad to me. Fair enough having fans from all over following a club, but changing its traditions to entice people thousands of miles away to watch them on telly is a new low.


Manchester United recently announced the signing of a Japanese player from a German club.

I don't remember any mention being made on the radio of what position he played, how skilful he is, honours achieved.

No.

He was simply talked of in terms of his "huge marketability" and "massive potential revenue streams."

Not dissimilar to

Park, Park,
Whoever you may be.
You eat dogs in your country.
It could be worse, you could be Scouse,
Eating rats in your council house.

Given Park's popularity in South Korea, that bloke could have had less legs than Heather McCartney, and the MUFCorporation would still have signed him and given him the occasional game (well, ones being televised in Asia).

The whole thing is hardly surprising, given that for a long time clubs have been paid handsomely for their replica kit to be used as mobile advertising hoarding. (Though in relative terms, the amount of advertising on kit is a lot less than for rugby league).

I thought the absolute barrel scraper was when clubs changed their stadium's name... Emirates Stadium, KC (Kingston Communications) Stadium, the Sports Direct Arena etc.

Though no doubt, the barrel can, and will be scraped much further.
Grind

Plastic Man wrote:
Dock wrote:
You are missing my point Sheepster. Which was that the owners of the club are changing the traditional colour of a kit to make it more marketable to a foreign fan base. It just seems a bit sad to me. Fair enough having fans from all over following a club, but changing its traditions to entice people thousands of miles away to watch them on telly is a new low.


Manchester United recently announced the signing of a Japanese player from a German club.

I don't remember any mention being made on the radio of what position he played, how skilful he is, honours achieved.

No.

He was simply talked of in terms of his "huge marketability" and "massive potential revenue streams."

Not dissimilar to

Park, Park,
Whoever you may be.
You eat dogs in your country.
It could be worse, you could be Scouse,
Eating rats in your council house.

Given Park's popularity in South Korea, that bloke could have had less legs than Heather McCartney, and the MUFCorporation would still have signed him and given him the occasional game (well, ones being televised in Asia).

The whole thing is hardly surprising, given that for a long time clubs have been paid handsomely for their replica kit to be used as mobile advertising hoarding. (Though in relative terms, the amount of advertising on kit is a lot less than for rugby league).

I thought the absolute barrel scraper was when clubs changed their stadium's name... Emirates Stadium, KC (Kingston Communications) Stadium, the Sports Direct Arena etc.

Though no doubt, the barrel can, and will be scraped much further.


Don't forget, the naming rights for the barrel are still up for grabs too.  
Plastic Man

Grind wrote:
Don't forget, the naming rights for the barrel are still up for grabs too.  


Good point.

And not forgetting the branding of the scraping implement, plus the uniform worn by the scraping operative, who'll probably be Asian to maximise potential television revenue streams of the live scraping broadcast.
Grind

The football itself is going to be replaced by an oversized Dim Sum and the goals made 50 feet by 10 feet in order to keep viewership high in San Antonio.

I can't wait for the Ichiban Racist Chantfest 2012, me.
sheeps

Dock wrote:
sheeps wrote:
Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.


You are missing my point Sheepster. Which was that the owners of the club are changing the traditional colour of a kit to make it more marketable to a foreign fan base. It just seems a bit sad to me. Fair enough having fans from all over following a club, but changing its traditions to entice people thousands of miles away to watch them on telly is a new low. Maybe with all the shit sandwiches that English fans seem to enjoying swallowing from the owners of their chosen clubs the colour of the strip doesn't matter anymore? Maybe I have totally misjudged what matters to fans. Maybe traditions don't matter to any of you. Maybe LU could play in a nice shade of puce next season if this kind of thing isn't important.


I do take your point, mine is acceptance. For quite a number of years I havn't felt the 'support at all cost' attitude I may once have had. Club colours, chairman, players, grounds, they all change [how many club badges have we had?] for a variety of reasons, the Cardiff change is a monetary/marketing one.

My interest for my club in terms of spectating and emotional attachment may have waned but but my love of football is still as strong as when I was a kid. This manifests itself through my local amateur club in the main these day's, I would much rather watch one of our open age teams than Leeds United.

Daft as it sounds we had a colour change a couple of years ago and it was a problem for some but it was done for the right reasons [and we changed to a red kit] but in time it is forgoten [by most]. If Leeds changed the colour of the kit I would be dissapointed and 'it's not the same' would be the predictable and obvious cry but only for so long.

I think you are looking at any opportunity to beat up football but I see our kids from 4 year old to our adult players taking an avid interest in the game so they must be doing something right. Having said that football is not about marketing or the PL it's about being the most popular team game on the planet and it's grip on hundreds of millions of people.

Long live football.
Dock

sheeps wrote:
Dock wrote:
sheeps wrote:
Happened to Leeds 40 odd years ago. Nowt to worry about.


You are missing my point Sheepster. Which was that the owners of the club are changing the traditional colour of a kit to make it more marketable to a foreign fan base. It just seems a bit sad to me. Fair enough having fans from all over following a club, but changing its traditions to entice people thousands of miles away to watch them on telly is a new low. Maybe with all the shit sandwiches that English fans seem to enjoying swallowing from the owners of their chosen clubs the colour of the strip doesn't matter anymore? Maybe I have totally misjudged what matters to fans. Maybe traditions don't matter to any of you. Maybe LU could play in a nice shade of puce next season if this kind of thing isn't important.


I do take your point, mine is acceptance. For quite a number of years I havn't felt the 'support at all cost' attitude I may once have had. Club colours, chairman, players, grounds, they all change [how many club badges have we had?] for a variety of reasons, the Cardiff change is a monetary/marketing one.

My interest for my club in terms of spectating and emotional attachment may have waned but but my love of football is still as strong as when I was a kid. This manifests itself through my local amateur club in the main these day's, I would much rather watch one of our open age teams than Leeds United.

Daft as it sounds we had a colour change a couple of years ago and it was a problem for some but it was done for the right reasons [and we changed to a red kit] but in time it is forgoten [by most]. If Leeds changed the colour of the kit I would be dissapointed and 'it's not the same' would be the predictable and obvious cry but only for so long.

I think you are looking at any opportunity to beat up football but I see our kids from 4 year old to our adult players taking an avid interest in the game so they must be doing something right. Having said that football is not about marketing or the PL it's about being the most popular team game on the planet and it's grip on hundreds of millions of people.

Long live football.


Long Live Sheeps!

Re: Looking for an opportunity to beat up football.

Its a bit hard to resist when each week something stupid to do with football is featured in the news.

I think the major thing that I have come to realise is that I had an ideal that football fans didn't stand for any shit and from standing on the Kop at ER you think with all the singing and angst that fans would never compromise on anything to do with their clubs. But as recent years have shown football fans in general will put up with anything. I used to view it as wrong that new owners would fuck about with things like club traditions and inflated ticket prices but as time has gone on I think, fuck it, if people are daft enough to go along with whatever they get told to go along with be it at the clubs they support or with the national side then they don't deserve to be respected. And to conclude they deserve everything they get from owners who are only interested in making a profit. I believe for all the talk and heavy useage of the word "passion" that football fans use, they are just passive lambs who give an occasional bleat and have no say whatsoever in how their respective clubs are run. I have a bit more self respect which is why I won't pay for match tickets anymore and have developed an indifference to football and that learned behaviour we have from being kids that you should be a life long supporter of a club. Which is bullshit, especially when tickets are over-priced.
sheeps

That I do agree with. 95% of the bullshit is shoveled by Sky and the rest of the media making easy yardage on the shoulders of the PL and it's atraction.

God bless the man but Muamba is a case in point, Sky went apeshit with it. I tune into Sky sports news for transfer stuff and the like but soon tune out when the guff starts.

Long moan Dock I say.


Dock

Forgot to post about this last week. I heard on the radio that Man U. "would be eagerly waiting for the New York Stock Exchange to open" to see how their shares go for with regard to managing some of the debt that their owners have landed them with.

Is it just me or is that one of the most bizarre things you have ever heard of? Apparently the shares didnt reach the price the club wanted, which is hardly surprising, but how fucked up is, and I use this word very loosely, 'British' football when one of the biggest clubs in the history of the sport in our country is relying on a load of bankers and brokers thousands of miles away. What a load of bollocks. End of dispatch.
Dock

I saw today on the front page of one of the tabloid shitrags that Van Persie will be on approx £200,000 a week at MU. Riddle me this footy fans (for you are the ones with your fingers firmly on the pulse and who still use your time, money, and energy following these circus-like clubs) How the fuck does a business in debt to the tune hundreds of millions of pounds pay that amount every week to somebody who plays football?
Forest

Dock wrote:
I saw today on the front page of one of the tabloid shitrags that Van Persie will be on approx £200,000 a week at MU. Riddle me this footy fans (for you are the ones with your fingers firmly on the pulse and who still use your time, money, and energy following these circus-like clubs) How the fuck does a business in debt to the tune hundreds of millions of pounds pay that amount every week to somebody who plays football?


Look at it as an investment, even a small percentage of 100million (approx) fans worldwide buying Van Persie shirts and other shite merchandise probably makes it a good deal.
Dock

Was out with Papa Dock this aft so had to watch the Liverpool v Man U game. Liverpool deserved to win, hard to believe there are where they are in the league. Anyway I'm not here for match analysis, I'm here to ask what the fuck Rafael needed a drink for eight minutes into a match. Play stopped and he reached for the energy drink like a nipper reaching for a bottle. Then once he started they were all at it, it had the same effect as women going to the toilet. Eight minutes in and you have thirst? Soft bastards.

PS The ref gave five minutes extra time and it finished at 97:15. I thought five minutes extra meant it would end at ninety five minutes. Or am I being picky? The English Premiership? Tossers playing it and Tossers Who can't tell the time reffing it.
bearing

We have this at school, one of them asks to go to the toilet and then they all want the toilet...
Dock

Starting a fortnight ago I thought “Well, that’s just stupid” when I heard that Ashley Cole wouldn’t be banned from playing in an England shirt for life after his public comments about the F.A. Then I realised that in our ‘national’ game there is no discipline any more. This is due to the fact that clubs and the F.A. are stupid and deserve what they get for putting up with stupid shit from stupid superstar millionaire footballers. Then for Prince William to make light of AC’s Twitter comments a few days later when chatting with him, was, maybe just to me, a bit stupid. The fact is that England are, in world terms, not that much of a team. So if there isn’t discipline and respect across the board between players, managers, officials, then they can’t become a great team. Or am I being old fashioned? Am I clinging to outdated concepts that don’t matter? Or am I myself stupid?

Last night’s debacle in Poland was stupid. As were the fans that stood around looking at a pitch with inches of water on it thinking the match would still be played. Cretins is too much of an understatement to describe the vacant looking sheep that stood around in the rain. Anybody who pays to watch England and pays to travel to watch them is stupid. I saw that the footage from back in the dressing room whilst all the will go ahead?/won’t go ahead? meetings were going on. The cameras showed Mr. Cole with some big stupid white headphones on. He looked rather stupid. Again, maybe I have the wrong idea about what’s right, but maybe such an experienced international player as Cole might have been keeping up the morale of some of the younger greener players instead of listening to pop music. Maybe it was the latest little ditty by his stupid ex-missus. All I know is that all of it is stupid. The whole stupid bloody stupid thing is stupid. End of dispatch.
Grind

Stupidest thread, ever.
Forest

Grind wrote:
Stupidest thread, ever.


Yeah! Who started it?
Dock

If anybody doesn't like this thread, don't read it. What are you? Stupid?

fartcatcher

Chiles, Keane, Dixon and Southgate trying to talk about the weather for 90 minutes was excruciating.

I blame Michael Fish
Dock

Apparently the stadium cost £400 million to build, and then humans go and fuck it up by not getting the roof shut. It's too daft to laugh at.

*laughs anyway*
Dock

This ref/Man U/ Chelsea thing that's going on, didn't used to go on did it. professional football in England is stupid and ridiculous. And I hear now the Metropolitan police are to launch an investigation into what happened. I'd have thought they would be busy with other more serious and less fucking futile things. What a fucking joke. End of dispatch.
Dock

PS Papa Dock (Wakey not Haiti) missed out on a £130 win on a bet on the Man U match ending 2-2 because of that, and I quote "Fucking stupid cunt who isn't good enough to ref games that are so high profile, fuck knows how they choose him for big games the cunt. Why are blokes reffing big games who can't ref?" And my Dad did a refs course so he knows the rules inside and, er, offside.
fartcatcher

Clattenburg treats his players like adults rather than 10m year olds and this is what happens.
Most of them don't give a shit about being banned for two weeks as it doesn't cost them a penny.
They'd be more upset if you took their X box off them.

Rugby Union have got the right idea. Leave the ref's mike open and let the whole world hear all the shit he has to put up with.
Dock

fartcatcher wrote:
Clattenburg treats his players like adults rather than 10m year olds and this is what happens.
Most of them don't give a shit about being banned for two weeks as it doesn't cost them a penny.
They'd be more upset if you took their X box off them.

Rugby Union have got the right idea. Leave the ref's mike open and let the whole world hear all the shit he has to put up with.


Hear hear. But apart from the swearing/racism allegation it's his piss poor decisions in that game that are worrying. What's the point of officials if they can't officiate? I'm sure bad reffing has become more the norm in the last ten years.
fartcatcher

Dock wrote:
fartcatcher wrote:
Clattenburg treats his players like adults rather than 10m year olds and this is what happens.
Most of them don't give a shit about being banned for two weeks as it doesn't cost them a penny.
They'd be more upset if you took their X box off them.

Rugby Union have got the right idea. Leave the ref's mike open and let the whole world hear all the shit he has to put up with.


Hear hear. But apart from the swearing/racism allegation it's his piss poor decisions in that game that are worrying. What's the point of officials if they can't officiate? I'm sure bad reffing has become more the norm in the last ten years.


It's partly because technology is now available to expose all their poor decisions, instantaneously and in slow motion, partly because all the managers tell their players to moan continuously at the ref, and partly because the game is played at such a high speed now.

Some refs - like Clattenburg - make life worse for themselves though by swanning round like they own the place. Graham Poll was the same. They have four officials at each match. Don't understand why they can't work better as a team. Even if it means slowing the match down to watch a replay.

I'm also really pissed off about the now-customary 7 minutes of injury time at the end of the match. After 90 mins at ER i just want to go home.

I blame Fergie.  
Plastic Man

I know this might be slightly contentious, but how about invigorating the "respect"-type campaign by giving the option to the referee of summarily executing dissenting players on the pitch.

I guess it might be a good idea during the roll-out period if the referees' decisions were reviewed after the game, and if the execution was determined to be overly harsh, then perhaps the referee would be subject to a one game ban.

I can see this working at all levels:

Pain-in-the-arse players would be given the opportunity to reconsider their behaviour and appropriately moderate their approach.

Pain-in-the-arse players who didn't moderate their approach, would be summarily executed.

Managers would be given the opportunity to re-structure their squad as they want, and not being subject to public opinion. ("Rio- if that bastard referee upsets you for whatever reason, kick the fucker in the head... Yush boss.)
Forest

Would the ref carry a little pistol or something? Where would he keep it? With his yellow and red cards? Probably need extra bullets in contentious games. Or the assistant referee could have a sniper rifle.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> All other football Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune