Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Cutsyke

Fave Album of 2013

Slim pickings at ours but Primal Scream's is a bit of a return to form
smiling badger

Has to be Savages for me.
Late Doors

Wow, there is so much stuff out there, ive prolly got about a tenth of what id like and thats the same for the last 15 years.

Love the low album-Invisible way, phosporescent- Muchacho but the album i cant play enought just recently is the Houndstooth Ride out the Dark. Not saying its the album of teh year but the latest one thats doing it for me.

People are saying how great the John Murray album is but that is so last year      and for once i was ahead of the curve with it.
Cutsyke

Only heard this two days ago. Lovely collection of covers that suit Mark Lanegan's voice perfectly.

http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Imitations/9067229
Butts

A Twitter group voted on this the other day and the Bill Callahan album won by a mile - this was my list, the Hookworms LP is the best I've heard all year.

PEARL MYSTIC - HOOKWORMS
Modern Standard - Kevin Tihista
Me Moan - Daughn Gibson
Fade - Yo La Tengo
Floating Coffin - Thee Oh Sees
I Hate Music - Superchunk
Stitches - Califone
Ghost Republic - Willard Grant Conspiracy
Totale Nite - Merchandise
Crimes Of Passion - Crocodiles
Trinine - Bailterspace
The Stand-In - Caitlin Rose
Pale Green Ghosts - John Grant
Southeastern - Jason Isbell
Wise Up Ghost - Elvis Costello/ The Roots
As It Is On Earth - Spacehog
Dudes vs Bad Dudes - Cowtown
Persistent Malaise - Cold Pumas
Magpie & The Dandelion - Avett Bros
Surrounded - Richard Buckner
Perils From The Sea - Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle
Solar Motel - Chris Forsyth
Long Island - Endless Boogie
The Invisible Way - Low
Fuzz - Fuzz
fartcatcher

ta Butts. Plenty of stuff to look up on Youtube.

Picked up some good compilation albums from the Oxfam shop this year. Buffalo Springfield, Chic, Womack and Womack, Moby Grape
Cutsyke

Sorry that was meant to be a link to Mark Lanegan's Imitations album streaming.
smiling badger

I do like a bit of Mark Lanegan. I had only heard what he had done with QOTSA until butts done me a couple of his Cd's,  Gutter twins, Soul Savers. I'm hooked.
bearing

Lazerhawk - Skull and Shark for me. It's like you've stepped back in time to the 80s!

Here's the whole album for you...

bearing

I also stumbled across these late last year but haven't got any albums as yet but definitely will be.

The band is called !!! by the way, try pronouncing that one...

Late Doors

Chuffing hell butts, I haven't even heard of some of those artists let alone anything they have done. Just goes to show that there is still lots of great music out there. Definitely a new year resolution to get out and find more of it, recorded and live.

My own favourites in no particular order

The invisible way, Low
Antiphon, Midlake
Dream river, Bill Callahan
AM, Arctic monkeys
Silence yourself, Savages
Back to land.  Wooden Shjips
Untill in excess, Besnard Lakes
Pale green ghosts, John Grant
Muchacho, Phosphorescent
Crimson, Prefab Sprout
Hoodoo. Tony Joe white
Away land, Villagers
Floating coffin, thee oh sees
Ride out the dark, Hounds tooth
Images du future,  Suuns
Light up gold, Parquet courts.
MC11, Mikal Cronin
Corsican lemonade, White Denim
Fanfare, Jonathan Wilson
Long island, Endless boogie
Like clockwork, queens of the stone age (not given it a proper listen)
Mark kozelek and desert shore, Mark kozelek and desert shore
11, unknown mortal orchestra.

Also albums i know will be good but haven't got round to yet.

Monkey minds, Steve Mason
Perils from the sea, Mark Kozelek
Electric, Richard Thompson
Lonesome dreams, Lord Huron
Trouble will find me, the national
Like clockwork, Queens of the Stone Age
The terror, Flaming Lips
Reflector, Arcade Fire
Fields of reeds, These New Puritans
Man and myth, Roy Harper
Big inner , Mathew E white
Waking on a pretty daze, Kurt Vile
New one from Mississippi all stars

Then scanning butts list ill add  

Fade - Yo La Tengo
Fuzz - Fuzz
Me Moan, Daughn Gibson
Dock

I fancy that Kurt Vile album. Bobby Gillespie was bigging it up in last months Mojo. Ta for the recommends Butts and LD. Think I'll get that Avett Brothers one as well.

*spends*
Butts

bearing wrote:
I also stumbled across these late last year but haven't got any albums as yet but definitely will be.

The band is called !!! by the way, try pronouncing that one...



Chk Chk Chk  
bearing

Butts wrote:
bearing wrote:
I also stumbled across these late last year but haven't got any albums as yet but definitely will be.

The band is called !!! by the way, try pronouncing that one...



Chk Chk Chk  


Aye, Chk Chk Chk...

It's great isn't it?
Cutsyke

Gonna have a listen to Kurt Vile. Just got The Eels one, how'd that fly under the radar? Crocodiles, pop music is in good hands.
Dock

The Avett Brothers Magpie & the Dandelion landed this week. Love it. Country but the singing has a quality to it that I can't put my finger on and which I don't want to switch off and the fiddle playing is very Cajun. I have been a naughty lad and have been listening to tracks from the Kurt Vile album on that there YouTube (is it just me who still feels guilty doing this when I haven't forked out for the album yet?) It's fucking ace, a bit similar to Beck but with a weird foreboding to it that I can't get enough of. Going to get that and the Bill Callahan album next (his last one Apocalypse is a belter and a favorite of mine). Also going to get the Arctic Monkeys one. Since we have had Joe I have taken my finger off the pulse with new music (cos I'm busy and knackered) but these lists are really great for pointers. Ta LD and Butts. It's great having two rock n' roll hedonists on staff. It really is.
Late Doors

Bill Callahan on at the Irish Center 6th Feb. Me n Si going, tickets left i suspect if your interested and available.

Ive no qualms about You Tube, none at all, i buy plenty of stuff and if i like it on a You Tube video ill probably buy it anyway. The old free music debate is still very much valid but if you cant afford it what you gonna do?
Dock

The Kurt Vile album is great. Some really great guitar on it. To call this 'Slacker' is selling it short. Worth a listen. Since getting The Avetts and this its really galavanised me into getting back to buying new music on a more regular basis. I've got my Mojo back me! Pop music, it's the thread that the tapestry of life is weaved from. It really is. 10/10
fartcatcher

I think you have to be pretty damn good to pull off this sort of very spare dance music.

Dock

Late Doors wrote:
Chuffing hell butts, I haven't even heard of some of those artists let alone anything they have done. Just goes to show that there is still lots of great music out there. Definitely a new year resolution to get out and find more of it, recorded and live.

My own favourites in no particular order

The invisible way, Low
Antiphon, Midlake
Dream river, Bill Callahan
AM, Arctic monkeys
Silence yourself, Savages
Back to land.  Wooden Shjips
Untill in excess, Besnard Lakes
Pale green ghosts, John Grant
Muchacho, Phosphorescent
Crimson, Prefab Sprout
Hoodoo. Tony Joe white
Away land, Villagers
Floating coffin, thee oh sees
Ride out the dark, Hounds tooth
Images du future,  Suuns
Light up gold, Parquet courts.
MC11, Mikal Cronin
Corsican lemonade, White Denim
Fanfare, Jonathan Wilson
Long island, Endless boogie
Like clockwork, queens of the stone age (not given it a proper listen)
Mark kozelek and desert shore, Mark kozelek and desert shore
11, unknown mortal orchestra.

Also albums i know will be good but haven't got round to yet.

Monkey minds, Steve Mason
Perils from the sea, Mark Kozelek
Electric, Richard Thompson
Lonesome dreams, Lord Huron
Trouble will find me, the national
Like clockwork, Queens of the Stone Age
The terror, Flaming Lips
Reflector, Arcade Fire
Fields of reeds, These New Puritans
Man and myth, Roy Harper
Big inner , Mathew E white
Waking on a pretty daze, Kurt Vile
New one from Mississippi all stars

Then scanning butts list ill add  

Fade - Yo La Tengo
Fuzz - Fuzz
Me Moan, Daughn Gibson


I've had a few listens of the Muchacho album by Phosphorescent. I like it but it doesn't blow me away. Think it could be a grower though. End of dispatch.
Frazier Cranium

Roy Harper!

Wasn't there some worrying info about him not long back.  Yew Tree sort of stuff?  

When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease is an ACE song.  He's also the teacher on Pink Floyd's 'Education' single, I learnt recently.

Where's that yawn smiley when you need it?
Late Doors

Dock wrote:


I've had a few listens of the Muchacho album by Phosphorescent. I like it but it doesn't blow me away. Think it could be a grower though. End of dispatch.


 I have called  Lucifer Cabs to pick you up for a ride calling at Satans Corner, Beelzebub junction down Leviathan lane and straight to hell fire for that.



 had a simular thing when some prick who will remane nameless but lets call him Simon for arguments sake recommended a Tricky Album. Pile of absolute caka.
Dock

Been listening to it most of this week and as I stated its a grower. Enjoying it now. Cancel that cab.
Late Doors

Good stuff. Think its all blown over with Roy Harper.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune