Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Dock

Comfortably Done

Think we have had a few Pink Floyd threads on here but with the release of their last ever album tomorrow I thought we could honour them for time served. I'm not an aficionado by a long chalk but enjoy things they have done from the Syd era through to the late-70's. Don't know much of their stuff from the 80's or 90's but I do feel they are a very British and very wonderful institution
Frazier Cranium

Isn't it material from the Division Bell recordings but not included on that album?  V good album that is anyway.
Dock

Frazier Cranium wrote:
Isn't it material from the Division Bell recordings but not included on that album?  V good album that is anyway.


Not sure what's on the album. I just heard Huey Morgan mention it on 6music on Saturday, after he did he played the fantastic Lucifer Sam from their first album. One thing I have totally switched off from in the last ten years is the constant reissues of PF albums. Record companies squeezing every last penny out of fans who are completists. To the point that whenever I see a full page ad in Mojo for the latest PF super-duper reissue box set I instantly turn the page.
Frazier Cranium

Yes, I read that it's material from 1994's  The Division Bell sessions and that most of the tracks are instrumentals.  If you haven't heard TDB then I would recommend listening to that and then getting this new album, I think it would add to the experience.  It's definitely 'Dave's Pink Floyd' sound than Roger's, if that makes any fecking sense at all.
Dock

Frazier Cranium wrote:
Yes, I read that it's material from 1994's  The Division Bell sessions and that most of the tracks are instrumentals.  If you haven't heard TDB then I would recommend listening to that and then getting this new album, I think it would add to the experience.  It's definitely 'Dave's Pink Floyd' sound than Roger's, if that makes any fecking sense at all.


It does make sense. And ta for the DB recommend.
fartcatcher

I remember listening to Astronomy Domine for the first time when I was a kid, with my mate Richard (recently retired bass player with Harrogate beat combo Rock Train). It was about the same time as the first man on the moon and I was convinced all the bleepy stuff and sound effects represented the music of the future and that guitar/bass/drums was dead and buried.
Maybe I was a bit premature.

Another Brick in The Wall was so memorable and so different to anything else at the time that you couldn't help just stopping and listening to it. Roger Waters was a bit of a pain in the arse, but the anger expressed in his lyrics struck a chord with many.  As well as being released at a time when working men were being told that to have a job was a privilege, it provided a perfect background track for rebellious teenagers to refuse to do their homework by.
Grind

I'm quite fond of The Division Bell - I've noticed a few tracks from it appear on the random iTunes thingummy of late and haven't felt the urge to skip them.

I would say Roger's solo stuff has been much more impressive than Dave's (or, indeed, any of the others), but I'm guessing they don't like being in the same room any more.

The split with Grunt was like that too....
Late Doors

Not quite my cuppa tea im afraid. Pigs will fly when i go to see them. Cant knock em though, loved by millions
Dock

Late Doors wrote:
Not quite my cuppa tea im afraid. Pigs will fly when i go to see them. Cant knock em though, loved by millions


So that's Pink Floyd you don't like and The Beach Boys. Some people are weird!

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Pump up the filter
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune