Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishy Tales
lebowski

Child of God - Cormac McCarthy

The tale of outcast woodsman Lester Ballard and his descent from the margins of society to a life of murder and depravity.

Classic CM, set in the back woods much like the Orchard Keeper and Outer Dark, this tale has a real dark imagery.

You can almost smell the mud, feel the icy cold and warm yourself on the fire.

A great read, McCarthy is a true philanthropist and manages to elicit sympathy even for the furthest flung of lost souls.

I can't see Disney making a film out of this one.
Butts

Probably my favourite McCarthy, as you say he is a wonderfully human writer with great faith in the inherent goodness of people, a quality which his characters only seem to remember they have when faced with the most appalling choices.
Dock

Right, thats it. My next book is going to be a Cormac. As I stated before in the thread for 'Border Trilogy', I may have made a mistake by reading all three of the books one after the other in one volume. I should have gone back to each one at spaced out intervals (by spaced out intervals I mean leaving sometime between books, not being on drug's n' that). Next up for me is going to be this book (good review Leb) or The Orchard Keeper. There, I've said it.
lebowski

I think you'll like 'em. I am still stuggling through the Border trilogy, I will finish it but am finding it harder going than I expected.

For the main part though, I like the way Cormac McCarthy gives you little snapshots or windows into what is going on but leaves it completely up to the reader to make the connections between them.

The Orchard keeper , Outer Dark and Child of God are all written in this style.
Seal

Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.
Dock

Seal wrote:
Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.


Miserable bastardo.

*eats burrito*
lebowski

Seal wrote:
Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.


I have reached exactly that point, S.  All the pretty horses was good, but I am a bit bogged down in tales of chasing a wolf around the desert, I will trust the Dockster and persevere though.
Seal

Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.


Miserable bastardo.

*eats burrito*


Does it "English up" again later on? I'm sure Leb would appreciate a morale boost.


*eats burro*
Dock

The Border Trilogy thread:

http://regdafishthinktank.com/about1161.html&highlight=cormac
Seal

Dock wrote:
The Border Trilogy thread:

http://regdafishthinktank.com/about1161.html&highlight=cormac


That's no good to me, dársena, viejo amigo. It's largely about other books, and mince pies.
Dock

Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
The Border Trilogy thread:

http://regdafishthinktank.com/about1161.html&highlight=cormac


That's no good to me, dársena, viejo amigo. It's largely about other books, and mince pies.


Ay caramba. Get Fucked! (I know all the lingo me)  
Seal

Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
The Border Trilogy thread:

http://regdafishthinktank.com/about1161.html&highlight=cormac


That's no good to me, dársena, viejo amigo. It's largely about other books, and mince pies.


Ay caramba. Get Fucked! (I know all the lingo me)  


It is though!

*looks forward to the Cormac McCarthy cookbook*
Dock

Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
The Border Trilogy thread:

http://regdafishthinktank.com/about1161.html&highlight=cormac


That's no good to me, dársena, viejo amigo. It's largely about other books, and mince pies.


Ay caramba. Get Fucked! (I know all the lingo me)  


It is though!

*looks forward to the Cormac McCarthy cookbook*


Blood orange meridian for starters followed by No munchies for old men.

*fucks off before Leb comes back to find his thread well and truly jacked*
Grind

Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.


Miserable bastardo.

*eats burrito*


Does it "English up" again later on? I'm sure Leb would appreciate a morale boost.


*eats burro*


Don't do that. It tastes like ass.  tryyryo.gif
Dock

Grind wrote:
Seal wrote:
Dock wrote:
Seal wrote:
Re: Border trilogy: Totally loved All The Pretty Horses but I gave up halfway through the second one (having shelled out for the hardback  ) because of not owning a Spanish / English dictionary   , half the dialogue is in Mexican FFS.  

This was before the days of Google Translate, before you youngsters get on my case.

I know it's set in Mexico, like, but still. Really.


Miserable bastardo.

*eats burrito*


Does it "English up" again later on? I'm sure Leb would appreciate a morale boost.


*eats burro*


Don't do that. It tastes like ass.  tryyryo.gif


*faints in admiration at best joke this month*  
Grind

I've used it before and I'll use it again.

And again.
Dock

'Old woods and deep. At one time in the world there were woods that no one owned and these were like them.'

Child of God (the book, not JC) landed through my letterbox on Friday and I finished it yesterday. Even though I was out and about a bit this weekend, I was snatching whatever time I could to read this. I can’t remember the last time I was as gripped by a book. Not that this is a thriller in the regular sense. Its just that I was totally bewitched from the start by McCarthys writing. Now I don’t know why I would be on the side of a character like Lester Ballard but I was.

Through the writers acute descriptions of the changing seasons, landscapes, and weather it was as if I was walking with Ballard every step of the way across the hills and dirt roads of Tennessee. As already stated on this thread, a lot of the story and Ballard’s exploits are pretty grim, but for some reason you can’t stop reading. This is the most impressive and economical piece of fiction I have read in a long time. A fine example of less is more with regard to the unflowery style. Thanks for putting me on to this. 10/10

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> Fishy Tales
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune