Archive for www.regdafishthinktank.com Here in the Day
 


       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> All other football
fartcatcher

Beckham

Don't you just hate football sometimes. I was just starting to recover from the three week orgy of sycophancy that followed Prune Face's long overdue and welcome retirement.

Now we've got Beckfest. Expect pullout supplements in all the Sunday papers, his greatest goals repeated endlessly and fawning eulogies from ex-team mates who probably hated his success anyway.

I thought he was a good player, made to look better than he was by the mediocrity of many of his England team mates.

Decent right foot, and a hard worker on and off the pitch, but not the genius he was made out to be.

Deserves credit for staying married to that brainless, perpetually pouting stick insect though.
grunt

Yeah I'll bet we won't get a Showumnifest when the time comes  
Waddle says Beckham's not in the top 1000 prem players. I think he'd get into the top 800 personally.
Grind

Chris, eh? Waddle he say next?
Grind

* That joke didn't make it into Reg's top 1000 *
sheeps

Grind wrote:
* That joke didn't make it into Reg's top 1000 *


1,000?
Dock

1000? I'm still trying to get in the top 10,000.

Back on topic: it's all so predictable. I'll bet anything he is down for a Knighthood in next years honours list, which will bring on another round of newspaper supplements and docu's about him etc. The media in this country kills me sometimes.*

*Apart from Radio 4 and 6music. Both of which are ace and I will go toe to toe with anybody who dares besmirch the name of either of them. I will. You just try me.
Frazier Cranium

Ah 6 Music, who allowed Coldplay to be voted as number 1 all time track, which means they played it in the first place - grrrrrrrrrr.  Nope, 6Radio are not perfect either young man.
Dock

Frazier Cranium wrote:
Ah 6 Music, who allowed Coldplay to be voted as number 1 all time track, which means they played it in the first place - grrrrrrrrrr.  Nope, 6Radio are not perfect either young man.


Point of order. That's one song. Look at the rest on that list:  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014fjyc/features/6m-top-100

Add to that brilliant weekly shows by people like Jarvis Cocker and Cerys Matthews and a staggeringly diverse number of records from different genres at every hour of every day and I don't see much room for scorn from the likes of Moaning Michaels like your goodself sir!
Frazier Cranium

I don't need to look at the list or remember the great presenters they have, that station PLAYED Coldplay, THEY PLAYED COLDPLAY,
fartcatcher

Radio 6 has only recently reached the land that time forgot.

Makes a pleasant change from Fern Cotton (the first woman ever to have a baby) and Jo Willey (what makes you think anyone gives a shit what you had on your barbecue at the weekend).

No-one anywhere near as funny as Ken Bruce though.

Anyone who likes Coldplay will enjoy Touch FM (one of our Midlands local radio stations) which plays one of their tracks (not sure what it's called) once an hour. Usually after the advert for Coventry Tiles.
Frazier Cranium

Keaveney and Wogan are both much funnier than Ken the Rancid Scot
fartcatcher

Frazier Cranium wrote:
Keaveney and Wogan are both much funnier than Ken the Rancid Scot


you be careful - he might set Lynn Bowles on you.

Who is Keaveney anyway and does he own a Routemaster bus?
Dock

fartcatcher wrote:
Radio 6 has only recently reached the land that time forgot.

Makes a pleasant change from Fern Cotton (the first woman ever to have a baby) and Jo Willey (what makes you think anyone gives a shit what you had on your barbecue at the weekend).

No-one anywhere near as funny as Ken Bruce though.

Anyone who likes Coldplay will enjoy Touch FM (one of our Midlands local radio stations) which plays one of their tracks (not sure what it's called) once an hour. Usually after the advert for Coventry Tiles.


Wouldn't it have been ironic if Jimmy Saville had a SLOT on TOUCH FM. Or is that a bit sick?
Grind

Dock wrote:
fartcatcher wrote:
Radio 6 has only recently reached the land that time forgot.

Makes a pleasant change from Fern Cotton (the first woman ever to have a baby) and Jo Willey (what makes you think anyone gives a shit what you had on your barbecue at the weekend).

No-one anywhere near as funny as Ken Bruce though.

Anyone who likes Coldplay will enjoy Touch FM (one of our Midlands local radio stations) which plays one of their tracks (not sure what it's called) once an hour. Usually after the advert for Coventry Tiles.


Wouldn't it have been ironic if Jimmy Saville had a SLOT on TOUCH FM. Or is that a bit sick?


Inaccurate too. He had several.
Frazier Cranium

Shaun Keaveney is on at breakfast time on 6Radio.

Honorable mentions to Radcliffe and Maconie and of course Marc Riley.  Radio 2 shat on Mike Harding which seemed very unfair.  I don't mean literally shat, though you can have the idea if it works for you - Shitting on Harding, on FM and digital radio
Dalek

I took my son to see Mike Harding perform live a couple of weeks ago.  A genuine bloke who was happy to sign autographs after the show.
sheeps

Football lads, come on.
Forest

Back on topic... Beckham.

I like him. His underwear range is quite stylish.
Nyles O Cranium

He's a wanker, get real, but good at what he did which is primarily self-publicising, being thick and being a decent player in his day.  Jesus, England were that bad he looked like a superstar, same as the Spice Girls weren't completely talentless but somehow the least talented one of the bints has done the best
Forest

grunt wrote:

Waddle says Beckham's not in the top 1000 prem players. I think he'd get into the top 800 personally.


What a prick Waddle is, cos shit players don't win championship medals in four countries do they. The only memory of Waddles career I can recall is his penalty that still hasn't landed yet.

And his mullet.
Nyles O Cranium

A silly thing to say, I agree, but I could see what he was trying to get at - way too much credit has been sent Beckham's way, he really was not THAT good, but Waddle's gone over the top the other way too.  Beckham played a big part in a very good team at man u, but I'd say his achievements since leaving them never matched his career there.
sheeps

I think, and I am revered for my opinions on this type of subject is that he was a first class footballer and a very nice chap.

Seen him live a few times and he never failed to impress.

As a man, the expression on his face at the lighting of the flame at the Manchester Commonwealth Games when he passed the torch to that young lady told me everything I needed to know about him.
fartcatcher

I tried quite hard to hate him but failed miserably.

I think I'm saying the same as Sheeps but less articulately.
Grind

I've almost forgiven him for playing for Man United.

Despite all the "look at me" stuff, I think he's fundamentally a decent bloke who likes football.

* Modelled on Sheeps. *
Frazier Cranium

How many more bints did the famous family man St Beckham play away* with, other than that Rebecca Loos?


* impressive use of ephemism & football jargon there, I'm sure you will agree.
sheeps

Frazier Cranium wrote:
How many more bints did the famous family man St Beckham play away* with, other than that Rebecca Loos?


* impressive use of ephemism & football jargon there, I'm sure you will agree.



Not saying he is the perfect family man, just something I saw in him.
Frazier Cranium

A Rabbit?

I didn't say you were saying it, old chap, but he is close to being beatificated it seems, if that's actually a real word.  Sainted, that's what I should have said.
Heyho

To be fair to Beckham as a footballer he has been a good roll model for kids. Yes he has limited ability but he knew that and his attitude to the game, despite all the fame, has been exemplorary. He was proud to play for his country and had to give 110% to be able to achieve what he did. And that also meant keeping fit and training.

Talking of famous players as I queued up in my local Post Office waiting to get a bus pass (for my son may I add) I saw a set of stamps titled Football Heroes. Greaves, Best, Banks, Law, Moore, Charlton get their heads on a stamp. Great to see John Charles. Robson and Keegam, mmm I suppose so at a push. BUT John 'fucking one great run' Barnes.

So the cynic in me says whoever produces these card thinks 'ok lets put a few English up there and not to upset the Jocks, Paddies and Sheep Shaggers the odd one of those a well. Thats good for political correctiveness Oh dear we haven't got one of those darkies on there'. Now who is there - oh yes John barnes - he will do'.

NOT Viv Anderson, Des Walker. Laurie Cunningham (first English black player) or even Ian Wright. But surely not John Barnes.
Grind

Heyho wrote:
To be fair to Beckham as a footballer he has been a good roll model for kids. Yes he has limited ability but he knew that and his attitude to the game, despite all the fame, has been exemplorary. He was proud to play for his country and had to give 110% to be able to achieve what he did. And that also meant keeping fit and training.

Talking of famous players as I queued up in my local Post Office waiting to get a bus pass (for my son may I add) I saw a set of stamps titled Football Heroes. Greaves, Best, Banks, Law, Moore, Charlton get their heads on a stamp. Great to see John Charles. Robson and Keegam, mmm I suppose so at a push. BUT John 'fucking one great run' Barnes.

So the cynic in me says whoever produces these card thinks 'ok lets put a few English up there and not to upset the Jocks, Paddies and Sheep Shaggers the odd one of those a well. Thats good for political correctiveness Oh dear we haven't got one of those darkies on there'. Now who is there - oh yes John barnes - he will do'.

NOT Viv Anderson, Des Walker. Laurie Cunningham (first English black player) or even Ian Wright. But surely not John Barnes.


I was looking at the stamps and remember thinking there was a bit too much in the way of Man United and Liverpool representation.
fartcatcher

I don't think HMTQ is going to be happy about this.
Late Doors

I'll never forget the way he skinned Ian Harte for pace.

       www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> All other football
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune