www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index www.regdafishthinktank.com
Here in the Day
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing myself
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> New Reggiestrations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Philwear
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Mar 2013

Posts: 65



PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Introducing myself  Reply with quote

New on here, caught the site accidentally when googling the Ostler's. I was born in Leeds in 1955, went to Low Road, Coldcotes & Foxwood, then Park Lane. Left Leeds in 1975 for Sydney Aus, and lived here (or nearby) since. Haven't been back since 1995.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cutsyke
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 17 Dec 2008

Posts: 922



PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitting that Phil, Foxwood then on to the old penal colony. What made you move then ? Don't blame you mind, loved Auz when I was out there and would have emigrated if they'd of accepted me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grunt
Complete Tanker

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 11 Sep 2008

Posts: 4970



PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Phil.  
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fartcatcher
Friend of the Toad

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Sep 2008

Posts: 8896


Location: Bandera Home for the Bewildered

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Phil.

My mates dad was a teacher at Foxwood. Think he was called Foxcroft but i may be getting mixed up.

Lager or Bitter?

Kylie or Dannii?

Union or League?

How's Skippy doing?
_________________
Posting shite on internet forums since 2005
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Philwear
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Mar 2013

Posts: 65



PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fartcatcher wrote:
Welcome Phil.

My mates dad was a teacher at Foxwood. Think he was called Foxcroft but i may be getting mixed up. I was at Foxwood from 1966 - 1972 - don't recall that name

Lager or Bitter?    Not many ales here, mainly lager

Kylie or Dannii?  Neither, although Kylie has a nice bum.

Union or League? League

How's Skippy doing?
 Mostly on the menu for my little dog these days
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Late Doors
Brave Punk Soldier

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 11 Oct 2008

Posts: 7983



PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Phil, welcome, not from Leeds mesen, next door but near enough for loads of nights out in the town, including Ostlers. Always have a nostalgic look at the door  when I'm heading up there. Usually on the way to more salubrious places like The Angel now.

Been to Sydney once in '94,  liked it a lot. My mate got stopped from going into Jackson on George for being too scruffy which I guess is some going by Aussie standards

Rhinos or United?
Kaisercheifs or the Three Johns?
Alan Bennett or Mick McCann ?
_________________
I guess all songs is folk songs. I never heard no horse sing 'em
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
smiling badger
One of the Gang!!

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 12 Sep 2008

Posts: 4859



PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do and g'day mate.

The Jam or the Clash?

TV or Radio?

English weather, shit or what?
_________________
Weddings, parties, anything and Bongo jams a speciality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forest
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 23 Oct 2008

Posts: 11160


Location: Sexytown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Phil and welcome.

Best Leeds pub?

Where was Low Road?
_________________
Flange winner 2011/12
Regdafish Fantasy Football champion 2011/12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Philwear
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Mar 2013

Posts: 65



PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest wrote:
How do Phil and welcome.

Best Leeds pub?

Where was Low Road?


Before I left in 1975 I drank at the Ostler's, Piccadilly Bar and 3 Legs.

Low Road Primary school was on the corner of Low Road and Balmoral St. Hunslet, long since demolished.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Forest
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 23 Oct 2008

Posts: 11160


Location: Sexytown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philwear wrote:
Forest wrote:
How do Phil and welcome.

Best Leeds pub?

Where was Low Road?


Before I left in 1975 I drank at the Ostler's, Piccadilly Bar and 3 Legs.

Low Road Primary school was on the corner of Low Road and Balmoral St. Hunslet, long since demolished.


Never heard of The Piccadilly Bar before.
_________________
Flange winner 2011/12
Regdafish Fantasy Football champion 2011/12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Grind
Lifeguard at the football pool

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 03 Feb 2009

Posts: 18820


Location: Location: Location

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'Day Phil!

My brother-in-law lives in Sydney and should be avoided at all costs: I think he lives in a place called Manley, or summat like that?

So, I'm officially no longer the furthest away, although I'm sure people would still like me to be.....
_________________
He french fried when he should've pizzaed. French fry when you pizza, you're gonna have a bad time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Philwear
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Mar 2013

Posts: 65



PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest wrote:
Philwear wrote:
Forest wrote:
How do Phil and welcome.

Best Leeds pub?

Where was Low Road?


Before I left in 1975 I drank at the Ostler's, Piccadilly Bar and 3 Legs.

Low Road Primary school was on the corner of Low Road and Balmoral St. Hunslet, long since demolished.


Never heard of The Piccadilly Bar before.


Piccadily Bar was a bar in what was the Swan, it had 2 entrances. One off the Headrow down some stairs from next to the City Varieties and one off a ginnel that ran between Briggate and Lands Lane
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Forest
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 23 Oct 2008

Posts: 11160


Location: Sexytown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philwear wrote:
Forest wrote:
Philwear wrote:
Forest wrote:
How do Phil and welcome.

Best Leeds pub?

Where was Low Road?


Before I left in 1975 I drank at the Ostler's, Piccadilly Bar and 3 Legs.

Low Road Primary school was on the corner of Low Road and Balmoral St. Hunslet, long since demolished.


Never heard of The Piccadilly Bar before.


Piccadily Bar was a bar in what was the Swan, it had 2 entrances. One off the Headrow down some stairs from next to the City Varieties and one off a ginnel that ran between Briggate and Lands Lane


It had a different name in the 80's I think, possibly a link to the City Varieties, Its called The Swan again now.
_________________
Flange winner 2011/12
Regdafish Fantasy Football champion 2011/12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Late Doors
Brave Punk Soldier

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 11 Oct 2008

Posts: 7983



PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it called Barney's ?
_________________
I guess all songs is folk songs. I never heard no horse sing 'em
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forest
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 23 Oct 2008

Posts: 11160


Location: Sexytown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late Doors wrote:
Was it called Barney's ?


That's it. Always used to see actors/artistes in there who were appearing at the Varieties.
_________________
Flange winner 2011/12
Regdafish Fantasy Football champion 2011/12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Late Doors
Brave Punk Soldier

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 11 Oct 2008

Posts: 7983



PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owt else you lads want to know about Leeds ?  
_________________
I guess all songs is folk songs. I never heard no horse sing 'em
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sheeps
King of the Quizzes

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 07 Oct 2008

Posts: 11173


Location: In a hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote



How do Phil, that image is Hunslet I believe. Remember the shops as a kid traveling into Leeds for the games in the sixties.

The pub is the Golden Lion, a building I took an interest in in later life, great, great boozer, traditional pub in every aspect it outlived the shops by some distance. It was one of our (football team) favourite stop offs after games played in leeds. Landlords missus would run upstairs and make great plates of sandwiches for us.

Hope I'm right now.

Anyway, welcome Phil.
_________________
I'm as thick as an Ox me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sheeps
King of the Quizzes

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 07 Oct 2008

Posts: 11173


Location: In a hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to frequent the Piccadilly bar as a young man too, another trad boozer.

*wistfully goes back in time*
_________________
I'm as thick as an Ox me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Philwear
Tank Mate

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 09 Mar 2013

Posts: 65



PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheeps wrote:


How do Phil, that image is Hunslet I believe. Remember the shops as a kid traveling into Leeds for the games in the sixties.

The pub is the Golden Lion, a building I took an interest in in later life, great, great boozer, traditional pub in every aspect it outlived the shops by some distance. It was one of our (football team) favourite stop offs after games played in leeds. Landlords missus would run upstairs and make great plates of sandwiches for us.

Hope I'm right now.

Anyway, welcome Phil.


The pub was the Old Red Lion and it was on Low Rd. Thwaite Gate (pic was taken in the 70's)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sheeps
King of the Quizzes

View Comments: Add Comment
Show Comments

Joined: 07 Oct 2008

Posts: 11173


Location: In a hole.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philwear wrote:
sheeps wrote:


How do Phil, that image is Hunslet I believe. Remember the shops as a kid traveling into Leeds for the games in the sixties.

The pub is the Golden Lion, a building I took an interest in in later life, great, great boozer, traditional pub in every aspect it outlived the shops by some distance. It was one of our (football team) favourite stop offs after games played in leeds. Landlords missus would run upstairs and make great plates of sandwiches for us.

Hope I'm right now.

Anyway, welcome Phil.


The pub was the Old Red Lion and it was on Low Rd. Thwaite Gate (pic was taken in the 70's)


Old Red Lion, that's the one.


_________________
I'm as thick as an Ox me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.regdafishthinktank.com Forum Index -> New Reggiestrations All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune